The View From Here

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Imam Speaks To Teens "Hijab" Death

This past weekend at the Reviving the Islamic Spirit conference in Toronto, Imam Zaid Shakir made a few interesting statements regarding a 16 year old girl's death at the hands of her father last month, for allegedly not wanting to wear the hijab;

"If you want your children to be a Pakistani, to be an Egyptian, to be a Syrian, to be a Turk, to be a Sudanese, a Somali, then you should've stayed in Pakistan or Egypt or Sudan or Somalia"
He went on to say that it wasn't the childrens' choice to immigrate but the parents;

"Parents, your children didn't ask to come here, to Canada, or America or Britain. They didn't ask to come here. You chose to come here...there are consequences that come with that choice"


This was not something I saw widely reported in the many papers I read daily, just one. It is also the first time an Imam speaks so clearly and I wonder if he will be accused of being racist or even ostracized in his community. I know if I said those words I would be...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home