The View From Here

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Toronto Hydro Challenge or Scam

You decide if it's a scam or not. Here's the deal, Toronto Hydro in TV commercials tells you they will give you 10 percent off your hydro bill at the end of the summer if you reduce your usage by 10 percent over last years usage. So being the type of person who likes to save a dime I rushed out and bought a telescope clothesline for the back yard and we have been hanging out our wash all summer. I run around like a fiend and turn off lights and the central air has rarely been on.
Today I got my hydro bill and was pleased to see that my consumption was a fair bit less than last year for the same period and also checked out Toronto Hydro web site.
What I discovered is that the 10 percent challenge is a scam and no one will be able to meet it unless they turn everything off. Here's the reason; the phrase "weather normalized summer consumption", read
it and weep.
Seems that last summer's consumption was high in their estimation so they wont use it after all but will blend it with the year before. Isn't that kind of deceptive? So if I used 1000 KW hours for the summer of 2005, it's not the figure they will use to calculate my discount. Nope, the adjusted figure is 920 KW hours so I'm already 80 in the hole. This is definately deceptive advertising and does anyone out there really care except me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home