I Just Wanna Come "Home"?
There are up to 50,000 "Canadians" in Lebanon who just want to come home to Canada and are screaming that the Canadian government has not moved fast enough to get them out. What's wrong with this picture? I'll tell you what. A lot of these people are not tourists stuck in Lebanon but rather Canadian citizens of convenience. They stay here long enough to get a passport and then their off to their home countries until the shit hits the fan. Then all of a sudden it's "I'm Canadian, get me out of here".
I personally know a couple who haven't set foot in Canada in years but have recently heard that one is ill and they will come back for our wonderful health care system. I know, it's not so wonderful from our perspective but for third world countries it's heaven. I have a real problem with this.
Now of course since they are Canadian by all means get them out, but shake your head people, it's not that simple when the airports are closed, communication spotty at best and we are half a world away. Did these people expect to be airlifted out immediately? That's what some their relatives here have been demanding and trashing the government of the day when it is not quite that simple. I've heard that ships can only carry about a thousand people, how many ships will we need? I'm pretty certain that any government would do the best it can to help out, lets just give them a break here.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home