The View From Here

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Boomer Generation

Funny, I never really thought of myself as old but thought that was only me. After reading the Globe and Dope today I'm told that most "Boomers" think like me. In fact a recent survey by the Strategic Council shows that 25% percent of us think were between 30 and 39 and 43% of us think were between 40 and 49 when most of us are closer to 60. Pretty amazing isn't it.
In a Globe and Mail survey boomers describe themselves as "darn near perfect".
We think we have plenty sex, we drink a lot and eat out a lot and think were in great shape, better than our parents. Yet statistically that's not true. Hip replacements have increased by 140% in just seven years and knee replacements up 39% in the same time period. I know people who have had both hips replaced. There is more heart disease, diabetes, stroke and obesity than in the previous generation, and of course arthritis is rampant with almost 30 percent of the population suffering from some form of it.
So there it is. We are the generation that thought we could have it all on our terms, imaging having to come to terms with old age.
I was born near the beginning of the boom generation and funnily enough my "offspring" was born the last official year of that generation. Funny, no wonder we always get along, were both boomers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home