A Little Excursion to Aegina
Aegina is one of three islands in the Saronic Gulf, which are considered the "stepping stones" to the rest of the Mediterranean. The other two islands are Poros and Hydra.
Since these islands are quite close to Athens they are often crowded and it's almost not worth the trip. We made the two hour crossing from Glyfada in Stavros small fishing boat last weekend and it took us close to two hours. It seemed like forever though with winey nephew on board I must say. This little boy, although incredibly cute knows how to get his way and it is crazy making.
The Cute Spyros

The Not so Cute Spyros

This was taken just before a major meltdown where he threw himself down on the floor and really howled. The reason, Dad went out without him to get something from the basement!!!
I got a little sidetracked here, I was telling you about Aegina. The boat trip over was a bit strenuous for me since this is really a fishing boat. There are no seats, just boxes which hold fishing gear and coolers. We sat either on top of the box or on the bow of the boat and both places were equally bumpy. I had my head over the side most of the trip, just in case. I get very seasick at times but this time I was lucky. I don't think Stavros would have been impressed if I'd barfed all over his boat.


We spent the night at a hotel and the next morning headed for the Peloponnese mainland to a small fishing village called St. George. On the way there Stavros had his line in and caught a number of fish. These fish were then presented to the restaurant owner in St. George who cleaned and cooked them for our lunch.

This restaurant feels like their home, the hospitality was amazing and the fish cooked to perfection. If I look a little green it's because I'm still feeling kind of queezy after the boat trip. They also have rooms to rent and we may go back again. It was very quiet and more to my liking than Aegina. I'm really not into very noisy and busy places.
After a lovely afternoon swimming and relaxing we headed back to Glyfada. The seas were quite rough and the last view of the Peloponnese hauntingly beautiful.


Altogether a very beautiful weekend.
Labels: Grecian Holiday





3 Comments:
oh now that looks like fun.. I'd agree with you, I might be holding onto everything too, hoping not to put my head overboard. ;-)
Beautiful photos! (And I think the little boy is adorable in BOTH photos, by the way!)
Carol
Carol, of course he's cute. I wouldn't take a picture when he is misbehaving. Too bad he looses it when the high pitched screaming starts, oh well, I'm using the old ipod a lot these days...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home