The Right to Life
As I sit here waiting for The Man to return from Athens, (the plane has landed) I have the TV on, mostly for noise, on one of those 24 hour news programs that runs the same stream every 15 minutes or so.
The news, almost gushing, about the "cute" cojoined twins born yesterday in British Columbia seems to be huge. According to a Globe and Mail survey 59 percent polled believe that these twins should not have been permitted to come to term considering how badly they are cojoined and entwined. Their chances for survival are roughtly 25 percent and the chances of separating them has not yet been evaluated considering that their brains may also be joined. Call me cruel and heartless but I think the money that this case is draining from the health care dollar could have been better spent.
When you consider that 17 doctors attended this difficult birth how much money is that? What other services could have been bought with that money. How many cancer operations, bypass operations, MRI scans, etc., would this money have bought. Watching these babies on TV and they way they are joined if separation is not possible they will never be able to stand up and walk. What has happened in our society that allows this to be. Is it the ego of doctors involved, always pushing the envelope to see how much more they can do? Why don't they focus on important stuff, like finding cures for disease instead of allowing pregnancies like this to continue.This is not medical breakthough, this is pure ego. Just thinking! What do you think?





1 Comments:
Someone asked the media the cost of this delivery and the doctors answered with a straight face, $2,500 was the standard fee for a twin delivery. If you believe that, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you. They had 17 specialists at that delivery and no one can tell me that it only cost $2,500 bucks.
Ethically, I know that the Mom could not have been forced to abort but she should have had much councilling to encourage it. Health care here in Canada is paid but drugs are not. For myself getting private insurance is not possible because of "pre existing conditions" so basically I'm on my own. Our drugs are somewhat cheaper in Canada than in the US only because the government has made a deal witht he drug companies. Your government could do the same but chooses not to, it would upset them. Thanks for commenting, I am working on a bag using left over yarn and will felt it next week and post a picture. Have a lovely day.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home