The View From Here

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Rant Number Two

A number of things I have read recently kind of stick in my crow, that happens frequently and since there is no one at home that will listen to me this is my outlet.
I have written frequently about my dislike of the Burka, that horrible garment that covers women from head to toe and have always felt that this garment excludes any kind of interaction with me. I have smiled at women wearing these things but cant say if they smiled back.
The security issue of course is the biggie here and in today's Toronto Star
a story of a jewel heist where one of the couple was in full burka. The store owner thought they were coming to shop and buzzed them into the store and ended up being robbed. Of course his security video won't reveal the face will it?
Meanwhile just recently in Montreal a local Y, with windows facing the street of a Jewish district was asked to cover it's windows because the young religious men walking by could see women exercise in skimpy outfits and it might upset them. The Jewish community paid for the frosting of the windows, but what about the rights of people exercising to look out and enjoy the view while their on their treadmill? Doesn't count, we must not upset the sensibilities of young men. I have a friend who says "if they cant control themselves, castrate them" but I think that's a tad extreme.
Nice to know it's not just the Muslims that like to control their wives by the manner of their dress, as this story from the Jerusalem Post
shows.
On more story but I can't find the link now concerns again the Jewish comunity, this time in Los Angeles, Venice Beach I think it was, where the ultra religious want to string up fishing line all around town, which symbolically creates "indoor" space. Why would they do that you ask? Well, if they are symbolically inside, then they are not outside. Their religion doesn't allow them to be outside on the Sabbath so really, they want to cheat. What's the point of that?
That's it for today kiddies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for your comment on my blog. About the feltet purse.. I have not yet "re-felted" an already felted item, but maybe its worth a try, since it's already a disaster??!! Good luck, and let me know if it worked out...
Randi

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home