The View From Here

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Pre-Op Testing Day

Only nine days to go before that gallbladder of mine gets removed and today I'm off for Pre-Op tests. Five days before Christmas and finally I will be pain free, I hope.

I have been suffering (bravely, I think) of really bad pain and am becoming more angry with our health care system as the days pass. The first time I had this pain was back in August and the Doctors in our local hospital emergency department didn't diagnose it as gallbladder. Because of the symptoms I was describing they kept focusing on my heart (which does have a problem), but instead of keeping me overnight at least, they sent me home in pain.

The attack did pass and I went on my trip to Greece where I experienced a couple of attacks, albeit on a smaller scale. On my return to Canada end of October I immediately went to see my trusty GP who ordered an ultra sound test. Now from October 25th to December 20th is almost two months. It seems inordinately long to me to have this thing taken out. I have been in almost continuous pain from early November on and hope I can hang on until the surgery date. Calling the surgeons office and begging for quicker resolution has only brought anger from the secretary. There are no alternatives here, no other doctors to see, my only choices are to wait and hope that this doesn't turn into Pancreatitis, or head to the emergency department and hope for the best.

For now I'm still hanging on, by my fingernails...it's a bitch to get old.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Kahshe Cottager said...

Rositta I hope that you are pain free soon. I understand that gallbladder pain can be excruciating. It is really awful how long it can take to have something taken care when it isn't deemed an emergency. You have to wonder how long some of those staff would like to wait!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I understand gallbladder pain is unbearably painful. How can you stand it? Here is hoping that your surgery will take care of your problem and you will be painfree once again.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Stink Eye & Tube Steak said...

Oh Rositta, I feel so sorry for you, it just isn't fair. Sending you a hug from Huron County.

9:12 PM  
Blogger giz said...

don't even get me going on healthcare. i'm sorry you're going through the pain - the whole surgery is something the doc could have done on his/her coffee break and 3 days later you're good as new.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hi Giz, welcome...your right, it's just the damn waiting lists here in Canada. On a positive note, I have very little pain today and I ran into the doctor on my way out of the hospital and she remembered that she's "doing" me on the 20th. That was amazing actually...

9:35 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i know that pain, mine has been out for about ten years now. i thought it was a heart attack too. it was horrible. if i ate any fat at all it doubled me over. i went totally fat free for months and finally got the nerve to have it out. afterward i had some gastro problems but it finally settled down and is fine now. good luck!!

smiles, bee

9:58 PM  
Blogger Spicy said...

Rositta,
Nobody should be in pain...but what choice do we have? I really hope you are pain-free by xmas.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Jenny, yup gallbladder pain can be excruciating.. hopefully it will be over soon. We now know that the President of the Canadian Medical Association doesn't have to wait for treatment, don't we.
Juanita, lots of Tylenol 3 sometimes works.
Lisa, I can feel those hugs, thank you.
Miss Bee, I don't have it in the abdominal area, I get the pain in my right shoulder blade and feels like a knife stabbing. It's also difficult to breathe. I'm told it's the last stage when it hits the shoulder.
Matty, thank you they tell me I should be just fine by Christmas, here's hopping...ciao all

11:03 PM  
Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

My gosh, Rositta, I know about gallbladder pain from my Mom who suffered through it a while ago - it must be excrutiating indeed, and I'm so sad to hear that you have to go through that! I so hope that the surgery will take care of this so that you won't have to suffer anymore - sending over lots and lots of well wishes and positive energies! Stay strong, my friend!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch! Here;s to a speedy surgery and a fast recovery!

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home