The View From Here

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Where's The Army? Record Breaking Snow Fall

Back in 1999 our then Mayor Mel Lastman called the army when we had this much snow.
This time we are on our own, (insert giggles here) and the neighbours seem to be enjoying themselves outside. Me, I just watch from the door, camera in hand.

So here are the pictures of this now,officially record breaking snowfall, a sixty year record to be precise and a present from our American friends in Texas. I guess they are getting even for all the cold fronts we send their way.

This is what it looked like yesterday afternoon before the storm. We had already had a couple of storms under our belt but nothing like what was coming.

By midnight, the winds were howling and it was coming down fairly steadily.

Couldn't open the back door this morning.

It does look pretty though...

Steve's threatening to move to California again, sigh...he does this every year.

Jim is the neighbourhood hero. After the snowplow blocked all the driveways again he his opening them up for all of us with the trusty snow plow, what a guy. Every neighbourhood needs a Jim...

I know we are not alone in this and at least we haven't lost our power so we are warm. Some of our southern neighbours in the U.S. have been without electricity for days. I think some of my buddies in Northern Ontario along Lake Huron and in Sudbury are also getting this weather and I hope they are safe. Not a good day to to be on the roads. In Cleveland they are playing football on a field covered with 3 inches of snow! Are they nuts? It is still snowing but it's expected to stop later tonight. Time to go bake my usual Sunday cake...

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

not even cake could tempt me to go there in that snow! yikes!!! and i was complaining it down to 59 tonight! right now it is 82 though and the grandchildren are swimming after all!

smiles, bee

3:40 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Good heavens...what a lot of snow!!

11:07 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Hi Rositta,
Good to see you over my way, where we had snow earlier but not now. And not like this. Really ugly my dear. I'm glad I live in the banana belt.

I read some other posts and see that you are up for gall bladder surgery soon. I do hope it all goes well and you are free of pain soon. Luckily it is a much easier operation than formerly.
I hope you can enjoy your Christmas in any event and have a Happy New Year. It's got to be better than this one for you.

2:06 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh wow! I hope you're all doing OK and that you'll be able to get in for your operation and back home again! I'll be thinking of you...

3:15 AM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Hey, that's a lot of snow! Reminds me of my Scandinavian past. I know what it's like when the car seat is rock solid, the gear stick hardly moves and it takes an eternity to get the temperature inside the car above freezing. That happened once at -26 degrees C on the morning we were going back after a skiing holiday! Brrr!

4:22 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

It has been a couple of wild days but the roads are clear. I remembered the storm where the army was called in and there were 111 cm over 4 days. The city was paralyzed and ambulances and fire trucks couldn't get around. That's why the mayor called in the army. Wasn't necessary this time...thank you all for visiting.

9:52 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

I find it hilarious that Athens comes to a complete halt when there's 5 inches of snow...can you imagine? Sissies.

I like the second photo with the snowflakes falling; things look so innocent, quiet and pretty after snowfall. It's when you actually need to be outside that it ain't pretty anymore.

You have a Sunday cake? Some people are sooo lucky! Since my fiance started this new job, they get one from me at the beginning of the month, but that's it!

Hang in there, R. Hi to S!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home