The View From Here

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Will Anything Change In Cuba - Not Anytime Soon

I have been to Cuba and I would like to go back. The beaches there were the most pristine I have ever seen (not that I've seen that many), and the Cubans are incredibly friendly. But I would prefer to go back only when the people are free. Will this happen anytime soon? Not as long as the population don't stand up for themselves like the people of East Germany did, to pull down the barriers to a better life. Maybe so many years living under dictatorship really saps you of your will, maybe you just can't fight back.

Of course there is much discussion as to whether the East Germans have a better life now or not, but they are free and that goes a long way.

Most Cubans don't expect much to change not with Fidel's brother firmly in power and the army and police at every corner. They will not have the freedoms that most of us enjoy and that is sad, from in my view. It would also not surprise me if Hugo Chavez was in there like a dirty shirt ready to help out Fidels' brother, you know, just in case he needs it. Of course bugging the Americans would be a little bonus and we all know how he likes to do that...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home