The View From Here

Friday, March 21, 2008

Political Opportunism?

The case of Brenda Martin who sits in a Mexican jail waiting to be rescued, is getting more convoluted by the day. There are accusations by the Liberal party that the current Conservative government is not doing enough to free her.

What I am still finding interesting with this story, is why did this woman not leave Mexico long before she was arrested, and why did she not hire one of the lawyers that was on the list presented to her by the Canadian Embassy.

When our previous Liberal Prime Minister, the Right Honorable Paul Martin, who last time I checked is still a sitting member of the government went to Mexico to visit her, it was not called a photo op. When Jason Kenney from the Conservative government goes to Mexico to actually try help her, the oppositions calls it a photo op and he is criticized. Brenda Martin is not showing any gratitude, if anything she has become almost belligerent. You can read the full story here.

Just a little reminder that it was the Liberal Government of Canada that allowed a Canadian, William Sampson, to sit in a Saudi Arabia jail for years facing beheading and it was actually the Brits that got him and his 5 co accused out.

And then of course there's the Maher Arar story. He was taken off a plane in New York and shipped to Syria where he spent a year in jail being tortured. If it was not for the strength and determination of his wife he'd probably still be there, or be dead.

Just a little reminder that the Liberals don't have such a good record for helping Canadians in trouble.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Spicy said...

The story of Brenda Martin is very troubling. I saw her crying on the news, threatening to kill herself...and its very sad. I wonder also...why didn't she leave when she had a chance...and does she bare some guilt for the crime?
Even is she is guilty...nobody should have to do time in a Mexican jail.
Canadian jails are like country inns compared to Mexico..or so I've heard. I wish her luck.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Mattty, I wish her luck also, I wouldn't want to be in a jail especially in Mexico. Having said that, I think she is somewhat the author of her own problems and is so distraught that she blames anyone but herself. That is my problem, the government cannot physically go in there and get her out yet that's what she appears to be demanding.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home