The View From Here

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Socialized Medicine - Patience Needed

So let me tell you how things work here in Canada for those of you who don't already know. You have a problem, in my case my eye and you go off to your friendly Primary Care Physician (GP). He is the gatekeeper of all and he decides who you need to see next. He doesn't order tests, at least not expensive tests he just sends you up the food chain. Problem is the food chain has many hungry people so you wait your turn and hope for the best. In case you think your health care is "free" let me disabuse you of that notion. We pay for it in the form of higher taxation and payroll deductions. There are also things not covered like the Optometrist and the eye scan in my case although there are many more on that list. Of course if you need a sex change operation, yup that's probably covered especially if your a prisoner, go figure...

In my case (we'll talk about Steve later) it was an appointment with the Opthamologist who had a look see and said, "nothing serious, just some floaters" things will sort themselves out. Ya right... here I am three months later half blind in one eye. That was early November, 2008.

In early January when we returned from our lovely (freezing) holiday in Calgary, I suddenly had flashes and waves in my eye. I thought maybe it was a stroke or some such nonsense and off we went to the ER. Many hours later I was told it was an eye issue and needed to see a Retinal Surgeon, call your Opthamologist I was told. The next available appointment was 10 days away and being an impatient person I took myself off to the Optometrist (which is not free). She had a good look at told me it was a macular hole or pseudo hole but couldn't be sure. Only a dye x-ray would show it for sure.

I waited patiently to for the next appointment with the eye doc. He then referred me to the retinal surgeon. That appointment was yesterday after a three week wait. Now I'm assuming rightly or wrongly that he is a good surgeon since the wait was so long and because the appointment was at a major hospital assumed (wrongly) that a resolution was not far off. Never assume, dam it, I'm always wrong.

He also had a good look and told me it was retinal scarring, huh...were did that come from. From the best I can glean after googling, it could have been the floaters back in November that started this unlucky chain of events. Now the problem is if the scarring is too thick it can't be operated. Great, said I, book the surgery. Not so fast...it all takes time.

Two more tests yesterday, a dye x-ray and some fancy MRI type scan (not free) and more waiting. This doc is so busy that even though I had the tests done right away and had the results available, he can't see me again until March 18th to discuss those results!

His gatekeeper is the receptionist and even though I was all done with the tests in half an hour and had the results in my hand she wasn't budging, March 18th was the date. I almost begged for an earlier appointment and came close to breaking into tears. How long does it take to look at two test results and decide yes or no and book surgery? I would gladly have sat and waited no matter how long.

It was not to be and the wait goes on. Remember, this all started early November and as each day goes by my eye gets blurrier and I am scared that by the time "my turn" comes around it will be too late and my vision will be lost.

Now this is not an anomaly here in Canada. I waited TWO years for a hip replacement, four months for gallbladder surgery and 5 months for heart ablation. Oh yes I almost forgot, there is a ONE year wait for a foot surgeon to fix my foot. In the U.S. my cousin had her gallbladder out within weeks with her choice of surgeon and another cousin got a pacemaker in 24 hours.

My mother, in May of 2007 died of heart failure because it took the hospital 4 weeks to give her a lifesaving pacemaker and never did get her MRI even though she was in the hospital. If I'd know that would happen I'd have taken her stateside for that surgery. My husband has been waiting for surgery on his torn tendon since last October. He has been sent from one doctor to another and is still waiting for an MRI booked for March. He has now missed the "window of opportunity" and requires TWO surgeries instead of one. We also still don't have an appointment with the surgeon.

My offspring and I disagree about this all the time but I would rather have had the option of paying for insurance and having some sort of private system running concurrently with the public system as is the case in many other countries. This system is broken. The people with money go to the U.S. for immediate treatment and those covered under Workers Compensation jump to the front of the line here. It is an unequal system in spite of what our politicians like to tell us.

That's it for ranting, I'm going to go have a shot of cognac, might as well be dizzy for a good reason...

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh how dreadful! i will think of this every time a hear some whiney baby wah wahing about having to pay for insurance and how wonderful socialized medicine is and that it is "free". of course it is... hope all goes well my friend.

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm one of those whiny babies wah wahing about having to pay for insurance! Last year, we spent $9,000+ on insurance payments,Medicare, copays, dentists, etc. That's 1/4 of our income and I'm still insured by my former employer. That ends next year and our costs will go up another $4,000+. While I agree that your system seems to be broken, there HAS to be a happy medium. One shouldn't have to chose between eating and paying for their medication.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Renate, we pay more than that on various taxes that are meant to fund health care. That is the problem. There are many things not covered such as dental, drugs, eyeglasses, chiropractic, optometrists and the list goes on. Germany has two systems, pay private insurance or stay on public but both systems work well together from what I've seen and heard. Our provincial government two years ago added a "special health tax" which of course went into general revenue with no accountability whatsoever.
Thank you Ms Bee, if I go blind life's not worth living.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Rudee said...

I know I emailed you this scenario, but for others who don't understand, my son's pcp thought he found a new cardiac problem on friday at 4pm. By Friday at 7pm, we'd had an echocardiogram, an ekg, an eval by the doc and bilateral carotid ultrasounds and found out on the same day that his symptoms weren't due to his heart. Granted, I have a working rapport with this group of doctors, but it was my son's cardiologist who intervened and made that happen. We did not set one foot inside the ER, it was all after hours in the outpatient department. This would never have happened in Canada no matter who I knew. Now, if it had been a surgical emergency, we would have had treatment on Friday for that too. In Canada, he probably would have died waiting- at the age of 20. I don't get why your system is so messed up.

Not all Retinal issues result in blindness if treatment is provided sooner. I can't believe they don't have a triage type of system that bumps patients up the list. I'm so sorry for all of this.

Hugs to you Rositta. I'm pulling for you. Maybe you should move here...

2:46 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

The sad part is Rudee, you are probably right. Too many people die waiting here like my mother.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I can't imagine your worry and despair. Sadly it's difficult to find a place where things work better. Anyway, I hope it works out better for you from now on. If there is to be a miracle in health service, may it be yours.
All the best!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Its not all roses here in the US either, and it's about to get a lot worse. Even with private ins. I was originally scheduled for 8 months out with a local GI doctor. It took direct calls to him from my PCP to get that appointment moved up and then it happened quickly.

This stimulus package that is about to be passed tomorrow contains a hidden agenda for socialized medicine. Anyone who thinks it doesn't better get themself a copy and pay very close attention because we are about to be sent down the river.

Here is a small part of what is in that pkg. It is a direct quote.

"Elderly Hardest Hit

Daschle says health-care reform "will not be pain free." Seniors should be more accepting of the conditions that come with age instead of treating them. That means the elderly will bear the brunt.
Medicare now pays for treatments deemed safe and effective. The stimulus bill would change that and apply a cost- effectiveness standard set by the Federal Council."

Here is the link for it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&refer=columnist_mccaughey&sid=aLzfDxfbwhzs

I'm not real sure but that reads to me like "to hell with everyone on Medicare they can just die."

It won't be long before we are going to be in the same shoes as you. Rationing is on it's way.

I'm sorry you have had so much problems with your eye

7:11 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Cathy, anyone in your country that doesn't/didn't pay attention is going to be in for a rude shock. The first thing they asked me when my mother was admitted to hospital was "how much intervention do you want, she is old after all" the implicit message being, let her die. Well they did manage to do that to her in the end but not with my approval. Had she been in the U.S. she might still be alive. I have a blogger friend with a FIL who had major intervention and is very much alive. Stay tuned for part two coming tomorrow...
Devil,I don't know what it's like in Portugal, I know Greece isn't great but Germany is one of the better places to be. It will be a "miracle" if I come through this with my vision intact.

7:40 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

That sounds truly awful! I thought Canada was a much better organised country, with a good health care system. I feel so sorry for you, your list beggars belief. The country needs a health reform! I have sometimes questioned the Swedish health care system of today, since my mother is in need of care, but she is actually having a pacemaker fitted tomorrow, which I just blogged about. Stay strong!

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home