The Toronto Transit Dilemma
Occasionally I need to drive into downtown Toronto for medical treatments and most recently every day for 9 days when my Mom was hospitalized. The parking lots that are available are incredibly expensive, some charging as much as 5 bucks for half an hour.
Our city fathers want us to use public transit instead of our cars so there has been discussion of how to get people out of cars and into public transit.
I offer a few suggestions although my hopes are not very high that it will help. I did email my local councillor who said she'd pass my suggestions on to the appropriate authority.
For myself, a person with some disability, working escalator are at the top of my list. I have taken the subway on occasion and discovered to my horror that the escalator weren't working and had a huge flight of stairs to climb. Try doing that one step at a time when there are hundreds of people right behind you pushing and shoving. Washrooms at subway stations would be really nice especially clean ones. I understand that there are a couple of stations that have them but they are so pathetically filthy that no one wants to use them. I haven't needed to but I feel sorry for those that do. My biggest peeve though is reserved for those individuals who think the buses, subways and streetcars are they private dining room. Not only are the odors emanating from food packages offensive at times but the litter that they leave behind is downright gross. I really understand why transit ridership is down but do the powers that be?
Nope, they don't get it really but in order to boost city coffers they are now considering a new parking tax, kind of an anti smog tax if you will to discourage people to drive their cars.
I'm actually one of the lucky ones, I have a disability permit and can park practically anywhere without getting a ticket or getting towed, but in the name of conservation I tried transit a few times. Won't be doing it again any time soon.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home