The View From Here

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Crisis In This Household

Regular readers will know that I am the primary caregiver for my aging mother, and know of some of the health problems that she has. This past two weeks have brought one crisis after another with no real solution in sight. It would appear that she has had another mini stroke that has affected her ability to walk and also affected her personality.

My mom was always the most positive person, no matter what life threw at her, and trust me it has been a lot, she was always able to bounce back and see the sunny side. This time however, the darkness has crept into her spirit and I am having difficulty banishing it.

She has congestive heart failure as well and every morning when I put her meds in front of her to take she fights me. She absolutely refuses to take them and it takes me half the day to convince her that she should. Finally she does take them but blames them for everything, like her tiredness and weakness. Of course that's not true but convincing someone who never took pills is hard.

I wanted to take her to hospital this weekend but she flat out refused. Since her mind is clear it is really her choice and I have to respect that. Tomorrow her doctor is coming to visit (he makes house calls) and the discussion has been to put her on a mild anti depressant to try and change her mood.

My dilemma is this, do I tell her what they really are or do I pass them off as a vitamin? What is the best thing to do? Do I let her just slip away from us or is it ethical for me to try everything I can to keep her with us longer? That is what preoccupies my mind these days, it's even hard to do any knitting.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger African Kelli said...

I don't have the answers for you Rositta. I trust my faith in times like these and seek out counsel at my church. I'll be keeping your family in my prayers!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

For starters some of the meds your mom takes for her CHF(congestive heart failure) do make her tired...it is one of the side effects..that in conjunction with the other meds can upset her stomach....increase her thrist there are many side effects...now as far as telling her about the doctor wanting to put her on anti depressants....if she is of sound mind...it is totally within in her right to know and to make the choice. I respect and admire what you are doing for your mother...it is no easy task...I cared for my mother who had Alzhiemers and strokes....being a nurse I see this all the time...and the families are torn...you need to have an open and frank discussion with your mom about what it is she wants...sounds to me she just wants to enjoy what she has left and to feel the best she can under the circumstances....it's not an easy task you are faced with....I will be thinking of you....

11:30 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

The problem is she's not enjoying anything. She's glum and depressed and unable to walk anymore and not engaged with us anymore. She refuses to go to hospital. That part is okay. She really doesn't take very many drugs just a blood thinner, diuretic and one heart drug, not a lot in the greater scheme of things. We will see what the good doctor has to say today.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home