Chrysler - Don't Mess With Me-Update 1
I drive a van, I know, I know, not very friendly toward the environment, but I bought it when my Mom was still alive and we needed to transport walkers and various other things when we travelled. Now of course, I wish I didn't have it but I'm stuck with it for a while longer.
Last week the air conditioning died a slow death and I took it to the dealer. Now even though this van is on the older side, it only has 95,000 KM on the odometer and you would think that air conditioning should last a little longer, right? Well turns out that during a certain period in the late 90's, Chrysler had a problem in that regard. In fact when I took this van to my regular mechanic he did tell me that the air would die at around 100 K. Guess he was right.
Only thing is, it actually has been a problem from about 65,000KM and I had complained about it and it had a previous repair done. I bought it (second hand) from a authorized Chrysler dealer and during one of the times it needed repair, they pumped in something called "Sealer" without my authorization. The job of this sealer is to go through the system and plug little leaks. I know from previous experience that this stuff doesn't work and clogs up the entire system. So fair warning to anyone out there who wants to use it, it doesn't work long term. It's a down and dirty, cheap way to fix the air on car that you don't intend to keep for long.
When I got my bill for this "cheap" repair it was over 500 bucks so I hadn't a clue what was done. At least not until this past week when I realized to my horror that I now have to replace my entire air system, front to back, at a hit of over $2000. When I questioned the Assistant Service Manager she insisted that she had told me and after much discussion conceded there might have been a "misunderstanding". Nope sorry, I understand things quite well and I wasn't told. In fact because the repair was over 500 bucks and the bill just said "sealer kit" I assumed it was things like seals, gaskets, you know that kind of stuff. I saw no reason to think blow in sealer was used knowing that that wouldn't have cost more than 125 bucks tops. I assumed that a leak had been found an fixed. Never, ever assume...
Expensive lesson, yup...don't trust anyone, read your bills, question every single thing when you take your car for repair. See, now they want to replace the compressor to the tune of 900 bucks but my mechanic, well he says, don't waste your money it won't last. That sealer will get into the new compressor and kill it.
But I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I have sent an email to the Service Manager and if I don't get a timely response, I'll try the owner of this particular Chrysler dealership. If that doesn't work, well, there's always small claims court. I am not letting this go, there are principals if not money at stake.
My own mechanic, sweetie that he is, has offered to let me come to his shop and copy all his research on the sealer in question so I have more ammunition against the dealer. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Meanwhile, I await a reply to an email I sent to the Service Manager. Let's see how long that takes and what the response will be...
Just to update the above post, the Service Manager of the dealership has finally contacted me but not until I followed up the email with a fax. Judging by my telephone conversation with him, I know he's going to try to browbeat me tomorrow when we meet. He actually raised his voice to me on the phone and that doesn't bode well. I'll keep you informed.
Labels: Consumer Issues





6 Comments:
Keep fighting for a good cause! Sometimes they come through.
They always phone after you've been in for service to see how happy you are. The poor girl who phoned me today sure got an earful. She said they would look into my issue. We shall see, I will give them some time.
Ouch.
If I had seen "sealer kit" on my bill, I too would have assumed rings and gaskets as well.
Our van's AC went on us a few weeks ago, and we haven't taken it in yet. . . I will definitely stay away from someone who offers me a "seal job".
Good luck with everything! Keep us posted on your battle.
Good luck with that, Rositta. I have been down that road with different car problems a few times, usually unsuccessfully.
I can;t understand why you are so pissed about?
95,000km is no as little as it sounds, your car is for sure out of any guarantee and I;m also pretty sure that you either work too much the AC or you don;t turn it on through the winter.
Let;s now assume this, your hand is in a great pain, you go to the doctor what is the first thing he asks you to do? He probably asks to move it around, to remember if you hit it, and then he asks for an X-ray. Although you pay the first visit, you will pay the second as well, until he ll find out what is wrong with your hand.
It;s the same story about cars. What the guys probably did is to add some of the gas AC needs to run (freon), and an ampoyla with colour then they inspect your pipes and everything trying to find a leek. They did, they fixed it and they assume that you were ok.
Here is the trick, they should test thoroughly before you get it. The next step to AC is always the compressor which is -as you already know- quite expensive.
Now what I can;t understand is why you are so angry?
Shouldnt they try to fix it in a first place? Do you think that they are not doing their job well? Can you sue someone just because you speculate that he is not doing -something that you ingore- right?
And the other question is, Why did you buy Chrysler in the first place don;t you read car mags?? (that was the kidding part, cause u will hate me by now!!)
Take care
and good luck
First of all, thanks for visiting. Too bad your blog is in Greek so I can't read it. As for your points, lets start with the obvious; air conditoning lasts longer than 95,000km as a rule. The first repair on it happened at around 80,000 KM, and when you pay $530 bucks for something that would normally cost no more than $150, it is reasonable to assume the leak was repair, not just foam sealer pumped in? My fault lies in trusting the dealer (which Greeks don't do). We do that here generally with better results. Your right, no more Chrysler for me, next car is the Honda Element..ciao
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home