The View From Here

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Istanbul - Sofia Hagia

I know the trip is over and I'm back home, but I do have to post the photos of the cruise, Turkey and the Greek Islands we visited so I'm going to try to do one a day. I hope you enjoy them.

This is really a poor picture but it was pouring rain. For a better idea of what it looks like check out this link.

Istanbul Sofia Hagia

This church is also know as The Church of Divine Wisdom and was the biggest church in the Christian world for over 1000 years. The marble decorations and mosaics were very beautiful.

Sharing">Day 2 Sofia Hagia (14)

Incredible stained glass and mosaic work.

Day 2 Istanbul Sofia Hagia


The exterior of the Blue Mosque. Again, very poor pictures because of the rain but follow this link for a better look.

Day 2 Istanbul Blue Mosque

The interior of the Blue Mosque, flash was not permitted which was too bad because it really was awesome.

Day 2 Istanbul Blue Mosque (2)

Topkapi Palace the residence of the Ottoman Sultans were also visited. I viewed the worlds 7th biggest diamond, the "Spoonmaker's Diamond" and lots of other beautiful treasures. Photos were not permitted on the inside.

Topkapi Palace

The kitchen building of the palace displayed one of the world's largest collections of Chinese and Japanese porcelain. Very beautiful, again no photos allowed which was too bad, it was really beautiful.

Topkapi Palace Kitchens

Day 2 Leaving Istanbul

Goodbye Istanbul, I will be back. This one day excursion was just too short for me. Next stop the town of Kusadasi, Turkey and the ancient city of Ephesus.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Breath-taking. What I would not give to be standing there and seeing this.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Annieelf, it was indeed awesome and breathtaking. I hope to revisit Istanbul some day and have more time.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home