Earth Hour Sucess - Without Me
The idea to shut all lights off for an hour is a crock. Seriously don't most people shut off the lights their not using? I would think getting your monthly electricity bill would be enough incentive.To me this was a little "feel good" exercise and an excuse to party. Downtown Toronto had Nelly Furtado gushing about how great this all was and singing about turning off the lights. Since it was televised how were the die hard flick offs mean to watch it. Fortunately I don't care for Nelly Furtado so it was easy to flick her off.
Meanwhile the thought of trying to stumble around in the dark didn't sit well with me. I mean I can fall down in broad daylight why would I risk my poor fragile hip in the dark unless necessary. We worry enough about power failures here in winter I don't need to create my own.
What gets me is that these very hip young people seem to puff up in a self congratulatory way about how much better they are than we the older generation. Yes, maybe you are and maybe you know more than us old timers but shoving it down our throats at every opportunity isn't going to work either, at least not with me.
I have never seen a generation that is so enamored with gadgets and gizmos than this young, hip group who now want to save the world. I'll give you clue, stop buying stuff, cause guess what...all that crap has to be produced somewhere with electricity produced by coal fired plants which in turn pollutes the earth. Once you can do that then you can talk to me about turning off my lights....sigh, I think I'll do some knitting with my 100 amp incandescent bulb.
And just in case I get hate mail, I do want to be real clear here that I truly conserve, recycle, reuse, compost and leave the smallest footprint I can. I just don't see what one hour once a year will do.
Labels: Junk





8 Comments:
OMG Rosita thank you! I totally agree with you on this 100%. All I know is, from 8-9pm my time last night i was sleeping on the bed with the light on and tv going while hubby was on the computer, kiddo in the living room watching tv with the light on in there, as well as the kitchen light next to the living room. yeah...i did my part. lol
Very appropriate. You bring up MANY good points. I didn't turn off my lights-and god forbid, the telly durning basketball playoffs. I did however run my laptop on battery. Does that count?
My husband went to play bridge last night and they didn't turn off the lights. I didn't go because I'm still sick but I wanted him to have a little fun. I wasn't planning to sit in the dark and candles around me are dangerious.
Rudee, batteries counted apparently! Go figure...ciao
You raise valid points. The thing is what will 1 hour do if the rest of the time we are electricity/energy hogs - it is just symbolic. Kind of like those people who go to church for 1 hour a week and then go out and do whatever - it needs to make sense.
LOL, I didn't turn off any of my compact florescents during that time either. Meanwhile those energy saving bulbs are biohazards if broken. I wonder how many people did have accidents with their lights off and then had to have the HASMAT squad in because they tripped and fell into one of their floor lamps and the bulb oozed mercury dust everywhere?
I figure, that my lights are turned off during the day, I keep the heat at around 15 celcius at night, try to heat mostly with wood, and recycle as much as possible.
If Adam had his way, we would have a worm farm as well. God help me.
I did not notice anyone on my block doing an Earth Hour Vigil either. The neighbours across the street still have their old school Christmas lights still on. I guess the die hards must have taped Nelly or something. I wonder how many amps and volts and ohms were used to help televise and broadcast that event.
I guess I was completely in the dark because I missed it.
Lisa, my offspring tried to convince me to get a worm composter 20 years ago...NOT. He did have one when he lived in Yellowknife for a while, makes good compost. My block was pretty dark, except for me of course...ciao
I don't think doing it once a year is enough either, I think it has to do with good habits like the ones you keep year round.
I'm part of the younger generation you speak of, but I don't think we're better, in fact I think generations before me said long ago we should watch ourselves and we didn't listen. Luckily, I have no gadgets here, and we can't afford them anyway with our salaries and overinflated prices...well, if they're even available where I live, that is. ;)
We didn't do earth hour, either...it's cold and dark here in the evenings, and it didn't seem to make much sense to turn out the lights when we could try and, say, recycle more.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home