The View From Here

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

To Boycott or Not - Beijing Olympics

I have been wanting to offer up an opinion on China and the Olympics but decided to wait a little, read some more and try to understand the issue better. My offspring on the other hand, having been there has written a good post of his view on Tibet and also offers his video clip of the region.

It is my view that maybe the politicians of the world ought to boycott the opening ceremonies and let the rest of the games go on. I think maybe China would take notice, maybe...ya think?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This one is tough. On one hand I don't know that a boycott of the Olympics is really going to do anything (and I feel bad for the athletes who train and sacrifice and then are not able to compete) but then perhaps a statement is what we need. I also think that none of us are exempt from the annihilation of another culture (the Native Indians come to mind immediately)- it is hard to express oneself in a few words. Perhaps a long term boycott of products from China might be a more effective expression of our disdain. It is a very difficult problem and yet simple at the same time.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hi Cynthia, I think if just the politicians stay away it might be enough of a message, maybe. It is almost impossible to get by without buying something from China but I do it as little as possible. I have actually put something back after reading the label, just my own little protest and of course I totally avoid Walmart where almost everything is from China...ciao

11:33 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Personally, I think 'all' Olympics should be boycotted just in principle. Even though I live on the coast, I certainly don't plan to attend the Vancouver ones. In the first place the ticket prices are well beyond the reach of anybody but the privileged, and that is part of my point. People trudge homeless in our cities and towns, but bazillions are spent on big promotional extravaganzas that benefit nobody other than the poobahs who are usually benefitted.
There, that's my rant on the topic.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

That would be a starting point, I think but not enough. Did you see the monks today? Some reporters were allowed to go to Lhasa and managed to speak to some of them. They were crying, desperate to have some freedom. The authorities don't let them get out of the monastry.
It was heartbreaking. Then the police came to shut them up. I don't want to think of what they did to them when the reporters left.

The Olympics are important to sport and to many people's lives, the athletes and millions who are inspired by them, but I wonder if this time we shouldn't think twice. Anyway, I don't see a boycott really happening.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Ian, your welcome to rant here anytime you like. The Olympics are for the athletes who have spent 4 years of their lives getting ready for them so I'm not sure whether to boycott or not. But the politicians, that's a different story.
Hi Devil Mood, I saw the news today with the Monks and they are probably in jail.
Here's a link to a Tibetan blogger
http://beijingwideopen.org/

7:37 PM  
Blogger Luis said...

I definitely think there should be some form of "boycott".

I agree that the difficulty comes in deciding what level to pitch that boycott at.

At a minimum I feel some high profile politicians could skip the opening ceremony to register their nation's displeasure at the goings on Tibet (and indeed elsewhere in China)

Whether a full scale boycott would really serve any purpose I am not sure. You are right to mention the athletes who have trained.

I also feel that China and Tibet are getting a lot more coverage now precisely because of the impending Olympics.

To end them altogether could be counter productive.

A difficult one but good that you are not ducking difficult issues on your blog

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home