And The Winner Is???
I'm writing this on the day of the American election, you know, the one that will change the face of America and make the rest of the world love her. Somehow I doubt it though, maybe for 15 minutes or so and then it will be back to Yankee bashing. It's become a sport and nothing, not even an Obama win will make most of the world give that up. It's too much fun...
I'm not one of those people by the way, I happen to love Americans generally; I'm married to one and have cousins, stepsons and friends in the U.S. If it wasn't for health insurance, we'd seriously consider moving to sunny California.
Anyway, since I'm heading off to bed I'm going to predict that Obama will win.
Obama can not possibly live up to the expectations of the world, nor can he be the saviour of the U.S. in spite of the very liberal media wishing it so. It is the inhabitants of that country who must first come to terms with a very simple fact; they are not always the best, biggest, brightest and most superior in the world and when I hear him say that he will change the world I am struck by the sheer arrogance of it. Is this just election rhetoric or does he really believe it?
There have been many charismatic and eloquent world leaders, some good some bad and some very bad so I truly hope that Obama has more to offer. I suspect that within a year the shine will have worn off, kind of like an imitation "gold" ring that turns green with wear. Style without substance. I find it hard to believe that he can deliver on everything that he promised.
The world is watching and I hope for the best for my American friends...and now I'm going to bed confident that I'm not wrong and by tomorrow morning Obama will be the new president elect and all will be well in their world...





8 Comments:
oh, ye of little faith. we cannot make others love us, it's true. we can try to mend some rifts though. i never heard him promise to change the world. i mostly heard promises to citizens of my country to provide for health care for the uninsured (people who don't even get what you won't leave canada for), education relief for people like me facing crushing college tuition costs, care for people like my daughter, ending a 10 billion dollar a month war(s), exploration of greener ways to energize our country and putting people back to work through jobs like repairing infrastructure and other little things like that. perhaps he can right some of the wrongs the bush administration has perpetrated upon us all. i can only thank God for an end to an error. I am going to bookmark your post so a year from now, we can discuss his mettle-so to speak.
It's buried in this article, but it's there. I'm sure I heard it somewhere else also but can't remember now. Your right Rudee, I have little faith, especially in politicians. By the way, health care is about the ONLY thing that keeps us here. We pay way higher taxes than you and we are also spending money on the war in Afghanistan, which isn't our war and Obama has already said he wants to increase troops there with Nato's help!
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/11/obama-mehta.html
“Nevada, if you can vote for me, I promise you we will win Nevada [and] we will win this general election and you and I together, we’ll change the country and we’ll change the world.”
I'm still hoping for May in Virgina...
Can you bear to visit such a blue state now as Virginia, those turncoats, turned out to be? I was just thinking of that trip. I'm on my way there on Friday and will broach the topic with my sis. We've a lot of planning to do!
i truly believe he thinks he is the "one", it scares me to death. he wants us to all just hold hands and the terrorists will love us again. un huh. and then cut our heads off. the same thing happened here in the 60's, the peaceniks. didn't work then either. just pray. please!
smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Oh Rudee, I love Americans and they can vote how they please. Of course I may not have any money if the stock market doesn't recover.
Ms Bee, believe it or not, I was one of those peaceniks!
Your predition was right Rositta !
I share your sentiments. Let's just hope for the best. Obama won a free election so he deserves a chance.
I remain a sceptic but will try to reserve judgement until the mid term elections in 2 years.
It is definitely a historic moment and perhaps will be cause for reflection for some rather smug liberals this side of the pond or even your side of the border who regarded America as irredeemably racist compared to their own country !
I am worried by some of his ideas on "redistribution of wealth" (we've been there, done that and generally failed this side of the pond). However my biggest doubt is for the massed ranks of people who turned out for him yesterday. Will he really live up to their expectations ?
Time will tell.
It's clear to me that he is aware of the awesome task before him because he celebration was restrained and the humility was palatable. Those with half a brain understand we cannot pin hopes on a single man, we understand that we will assume responsibility for the part we play. But like it or not, he is our president and we can get behind him, or we can stand in his way and let a bad situation get worse. I prefer to support him and be part of the solution or progress hasn't a chance.
It is incumbent on Americans to get behind their President Kat, I would expect no less.
Luis, lets see what happens with the "income redistribution", it affects us also since my husband is American and must still file/pay tax there.
The only thing I can say here is that some people voted emotionally for better or worse...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home