The View From Here

Thursday, December 11, 2008

100

That is the number of Canadian soldiers that have now been killed in Afghanistan. They are in the most dangerous part of the country fighting under NATO. I think we are mostly forgotten by Americans unless they need or want something from us. There has rarely been any coverage in MSM about the sacrifices Canadian military men and women make on their behalf, until now that is.

Two recent news events were surprising to me, the first was an NBC report about our repatriation of soldiers and the Highway of Heroes.

And today in the news U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates was pretty much gushing about Canada's contribution to their war effort and hinting that we should stay.

I guess since President-Elect Obama won and he pledged to put more troops in Afghanistan, all of a sudden they remember us...think I should park my cynicism?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

Not all Americans neglect the Canadian contribution. We have all suffered from this global issue of terrorism and while I think the Iraq debacle has been disheartening, I've never once questioned the need for the world to help abolish this problem in Afghanistan. We didn't bomb ourselves on 9/11. Extremists continue their agenda in countries like Spain, UK, Afghanistan, India, Indonesia, etc. Whose problem is this? I think it belongs to all of us. Should we all just pull out and let them do as they will? Who will suffer next?

12:31 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Rudee, I'm talking about American politicians and media not the ordinary Americans. The only thing you see on CNN is about the porous borders and originally it was said the 911 terrorists came through Canada!
NATO is ineffective, Canada has been asking for help from other countries for the past two years and no one is stepping up.
Most Canadians think this is an American problem not a Canadian one. Our Government (being a minority) have voted to leave in 2011 and I doubt that will change. Unless the Conservative government gets a majority in an election I suspect that's how it will be. The NDP want Canada out NOW and the Liberals, well they blow with the wind. As far as worldwide terrorism, I'm not sure anyone can police the world effectively without being condemmed in the end. Look at your country, it has done many good things in the world yet all that is remembered is Iraq...ciao

9:52 AM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Well I am not sure I want to jump in on this one...but being who I am.....Canadians have always stepped up to the plate when it comes to putting in humanitarian effort during war. My understanding is that Canada went into Afghanistan for humanitarian reasons....to help the local people get their lives back together...to help clear land minds...and save the lives of so many children.....and help rebuild communities....and yet here we are in the worst of the war torn country....this is a war we didn't start and only got involved in because that is what Canadians have always done...gone in and help where we could....we don't have the weapons necessary to be any threat, just to protect our soldiers and those they are trying to protect.

I ask myself this all the time...where do we draw the line...when have we done enough....are the efforts of our soldiers, mothers, fathers brothers and sister really worth all of this.....I believe the NDP want the Canadian military out in order to prevent further loss soldiers lives....and if that is the case then I support that....but it is an individual who wants to go there....I for one would go to Afghanistan if I thought i could make a difference...using my nursing skills....but I am not sure that I would.....Questions....lots of questions and so few answers to a very confused and angry world....

5:25 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

It is definitely a conundrum but for the moment,politically the decision stands...

11:40 PM  
Blogger Luis said...

This is an increasingly deadly conflict.

I just saw the sad news about 3 more Canadian casualties. The British are also experiencing losses at an increasing rate- 4 Royal Marines were killed on Friday. What only makes it worse was that 3 were killed by a 13 year old boy who blew himself up while pushing a wheel barrow full of explosives.

I heard on the radio this morning references to the soviet occupiers facing suicidal children who doused themselves in petrol and lit themselves in order to destroy tanks that they clambered upon.

There are memorials to British losses in Afghanistan in the 19th Century.

I think the differences between British 19th Century imperialists, soviet troops and the current allied presence in Afghanistan is a little lost on some locals. What is certain is that the Afghans have a track record of using whatever means possible to defeat those they see as invaders.

I hope Obama sticks by his commitment to bolster US forces in Afghanistan. The cost of defeat would be a resurgent Taliban and a base for global terrorism. That said, this fight is very far from won and I fear the cost in Canadian, American, British and other allied forces losing troops will only grow.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Yes Luis, the count is now 103. Canada volunteered for the most dangerous part of the country and are trying to rebuild it. The enemy doesn't fight fair, the Talibs want back into power no matter what and will do whatever they can for the end game. I'm not sure it's a winnable war but I hope I'm wrong. The people deserve peace...

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home