There's Something About Teachers
That just kind of grates and unnerves me sometimes and this is one of those times. It' s the superior attitude some have, you know the one I mean, the kind that talks down to the "great unwashed" to explain to us why we are wrong and they are right. Anybody that doesn't agree with them is not capable of critical thinking or just downright stupid sigh... They are always morally right, so they preach and gosh darn, they're just doing it for our own good. This is not meant to trash teachers, we all know there are some really good ones out there.
I've had a few of the bad ones in my lifetime and I'm glad I didn't always listen. The one that comes to mind was a Prof at a University where I was taking some night courses, Sociology if my memory serves. He told our class that single mothers had a 75 percent chance of having a delinquent child, especially if that child was a boy. After that class I approached him and asked him if he really believed that. He did and seemed quite put out that I would question him. I quit that class. I was a single mother of a son and he depressed me so much with that line of teaching, well I simply couldn't subject myself to that kind of crap.
I was after all, a single mother of a son and there was no way in hell he was going to be a delinquent. In spite of not being the best of mothers at times I'm happy to report he wasn't and isn't, a delinquent I mean...nope, he's a...well you figure it out.
The man who would be king, the new leader of the Liberal Party of Canada who hopes to displace the current Prime Minister of Canada was a Professor (at Harvard no less) by profession and sadly I'm reminded of the Professor at York University that tried to make me feel stupid.
I think that if he ever wants my vote he could start by parking some of his arrogance... there's something about the way he raises his eyebrow that doesn't sit well with me. And just for the record, I have voted across party lines for the candidate that I think can do a better job. He also wasn't elected by the membership of the Liberal party, instead, being the last man standing was "crowned". I know, I know the current Prime Minister also has some arrogance issues but heck at least he was elected. He didnt conspire to take it with a coup.This man spent most of his adult life outside of Canada living in both the U.S. and Britain and there is some feeling that he came back just to be Prime Minister and rescue those poor conservative thinking persons from their folly. Yet wasn't it conservative thinking to have supported the war in Iraq? And he had no problem with torture at the time at least, I hear he's meanwhile changed his mind on both. I wish him luck... or is he the Emperor who has no Clothes with the NDP as the Imposter's?
Political economist Stephen Clarkson said in a 2006 interview, "He told people 15 years ago that he thought about coming back to be prime minister."There are signs he's been aware of a special destiny for a long time. The son of a Canadian diplomat, grandson of a Russian count and nephew of George Grant, famous writer of Lament for a Nation, ...
Whether or not he is a Canadian of convenience only time will tell. I hear the pension plan is amazing. Interesting political times ahead.
Labels: Canadian Politics





3 Comments:
I interviewed Iggy a couple of years ago and in person he is a much more agreeable individual than his public persona indicates. I actually quite like him and found him fairly gracious. He needs some good coaching.
Otherwise, as a onetime teacher, I absolutely agree with you, which is why I left the calling. I hate patronizing pedants.
He didn't sound very agreeable on an interview I just saw, in fact he was threatening. His tone of voice reminds me a little of Trudeau. Interestingly there was a survey on Global TV earlier asking who would you prefer as PM, Harper or Ignatieff and it came in at 72 percent for Harper. That survey has now been taken down by the station, weird that...
I'm sorry you had that experience, Rositta. Teachers should be encouraging, compassionate, and foster growth. I've worked with some wonderful women and men that were exactly what you would hope for them to be. I have, unfortunately, seen the other side as well.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home