The View From Here

Friday, December 05, 2008

National Bank Of Greece - You Did The Right Thing

I have been diligently following upon the issue regarding the absolutely insane amount of 600 euros that they charged my Mother-in-law for a bank draft to take her money out of that bank. My sister-in-law, who lives there tried as well without success.

I am half a world away so I credit my success to the power of the Internet and the blog.

Here is the reply I received this morning.

Dear (name)

I would like to inform you that, the Council of the relative Department of National Bank of Greece decided the refund of 567,00 € (Euro) to your mother.

The Council will direct our branch, Moschato (148), for their actions, today.

Thank you for contacting us.

Best regards,

(name)


Contact Center Supervisor


My Mother-in-law will be very happy today. I thank the person with whom I have been in contact in resolving this matter...

9 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

That's a lot of money for a little old lady. Shame on them. Thugs in suits-you just never know.

10:23 AM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Fantastic! Your persistence has paid off, well done. It really was an outrageous sum of money. :-)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I was very happy to read this. Thank goodness you pressed this matter. Shame on them for even trying to do such a thing. its very sad to wonder how many others they have done this to who didn't have you fighting for them. They still sound like a bunch of criminals to me.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to read this. Well done !

Kisses to you and hubby...

2:21 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Now that's more like it. Thank goodness the M-I-L had you guys on her side. Is there any way to contact the local press there and get them to put out a warning in the newspaper about the rip-off bank, or is that kind of thing not done there?

3:38 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Rudee, she is very happy but doesn't understand much about blogs and emails and wonders how I could achieve this.
Swenglish, I never give up, I'm like a bad dog with a bone, once I get my teeth in it, I'm running with it. My next step was to check EU banking regulations.
Cathy your right, they may indeed be doing it to others, sadly.
Hi Diva, it was worth the little effort on my MIL's behalf. My sweetie is stunned that I succeeded, he knows the Greek system, as do you..
Christina, I hope they have learned their lesson, that you just never know who your dealing with and a little old lady might have resources that they don't about (me in this case). I have had more hits on this story than anything else I've written lately, that's enough bad publicity for them...

3:44 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

I'm happy you succeeded when your SIL did not. And as you said, you're a half world away.

In my experience, the NBG has a variable fee, depending on who you get and what branch you're at. I know that and normally complain on the spot.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hi Kat, my MIL is over 80, not in good health and easily intimidated by "higher ups". She was originally quoted 75 euros which she expected to pay so when they told her 602 euros she freaked. Now they are charging 35 e which seems much more reasonable. I too would have questioned it and asked for the manager. When she went back with her daughter they saw the manager who basically said, too bad so sad...

11:08 AM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

YEY! Good to hear some good news for a change!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home