The View From Here

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Who Wants To Come For Dinner?

It always starts with bread. This wonderful easy to make, no knead bread. The only changes I made to the recipe are 1 tsp yeast and 1 1/2 tsp salt. I just find it rises better but feel free to experiment. I've also made it with 2 cups white flour and 1 cup whole wheat. It doesn't get quite as high but what the heck.

Feb 22 2009 014


The pantry was a bit bare this weekend because both of us have a really bad cold and couldn't get out for groceries. I did find a pork tenderloin in the freezer, which together with some mushrooms, onions and sour cream was enough to make a meal. Oh yes, there was wine.

Feb 22 2009 013

Fry the whole mess together until nice and brown and toss in some water and at least a cup of wine. My spices were a little salt, lots of pepper and Hungarian paprika. Cover and simmer for half hour or so. It's tenderloin, it doesn't take long.

Feb 22 2009 023

When its nice and tender I toss in some sour cream and that's mostly to taste. I use about 3/4 cup or so and I also mix about a teaspoon of corn starch into the sour cream It helps to thicken the sauce a little.

Feb 22 2009 028

But then disaster struck. The pasta drawer was empty, well almost empty. There were some weird shell type past kicking around in the back of the shelf of unknown age but somehow I didn't think that would go with this dinner.

So plan B...the trusty pasta machine. Not really difficult to make pasta at all, just 2 eggs, a little olive oil, a little water and flour. Oh dear, you can see the chip in my bowl, groan...it's one that I made and I'm loath to throw it out.

Feb 22 2009 016

Looks kind of messy but trust me, it's going to be fine.

Feb 22 2009 017


A little kneading and then through the machine. It actually goes through a few times at different setting and then ends up really thin.

Feb 22 2009 024


Not thin enough yet but this would make great lasagna.

Feb 22 2009 025

when it's thin enough it goes through the cutter and comes out like this. Perfect fettucine.

Feb 22 2009 027


A quick boil in salted water, maybe 3 minutes.

Feb 22 2009 030

Dinner's served...

Feb 22 2009 032

Just for a little healthy I did steam some broccoli on the side. Bye the way, I really don't like cooking very much.

Next week I will try to make some of those weird Beaver Tails that President Obama so enjoyed on his visit to Canada this past week.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

OMG, that looks and sounds delicious. I can almost smell it.

10:34 PM  
Blogger flydragon said...

After seeing all those goodies, I want to come for dinner!! I'll even come for breakfast leftovers:)

7:20 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Cathy, my sweetie sure enjoyed it. I like to do Sunday dinners a little nicer even though I hate cooking.
Hi Flydragon, yup there were some leftovers, your welcome...

10:01 AM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I wanna come. Looks so so good!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

You'll have to come to Canada first Diane, anytime...ciao

10:42 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

Looks yummy. I'm going to give your bread a whirl. The tenderloin looks good too. Back in the day, I made pasta all of the time. I can't remember the last time I did.

Love that bowl-chip and all.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Luis said...

looks great. I must visit Canada sometime :-)

3:52 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

It all looks very inviting. Yum!

10:31 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Wow, for someone who doesn't like to cook you sure do a great job! We bought a pasta machine a while ago and I tried it out once and it was really nice - must dust it off and get going again.

Hope you're feeling much better. There seem to be some awful bugs hanging around these days.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Christina, nice to hear from you again. Hope your feeling better and cooking up a storm again. Home made pasta is great if you have time. I really don't like cooking very much but my sweetie likes it.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home