Fighting Big Pharma
While I figure out a heading for this post I'll do a quick update on what's been going on around here. First and foremost the battle with Wyeth is not over, at least from my perspective. We may not win it but we can sure make it uncomfortable for them. I personally am boycotting products that the company makes, more on that later. A price increase of almost 1000 percent is insane.
This has been an interesting week though. Last week I sent an email to a television station's medical reporter who had previously done a story on Premarin and the sudden price hike. I was asked by the reporter to do an interview. I have to say that I thought about it for a while since I'm not terribly good in front of a camera. I get kind of tongue tied actually, I'm better one on one. In any case the camera guy was great and the interview was on the Wednesday night newscast and was rerun again Thursday morning. Here's the link for anyone interested. Halfway down the page on the right side just underneath CTV.ca blogs you will see a video link. That would me me. Avis Favro has also linked my blog to the site and traffic has increased. I have another story to do on Wyeth and Premarin but it requires a little more thought than I'm capable of today.
Now as I've said before, taking Premarin is a personal choice, not for everyone but certainly for me very necessary and not because of something as benign as hot flashes. This week alone I tried two times to do without the pill and both times woke up with a debilitating migraine. I'm not talking about a small headache here, I'm talking about pain so severe that the slightest movement feels like a hammer hitting my head and taking even a sip of water causes gut wrenching dry heaves. It's not fun. Because of the migraine I missed my pre op appointment on Wednesday for my foot surgery. Fortunately for me I was able to get another appointment yesterday. And the beat goes on...
Labels: Consumer Issues





8 Comments:
Rositta, give those pharmaceutical companies hell. You did a great interview. You were so focused that I could have never pulled that off half as good as you did. I love the "Bitchy Hormonal Women" part...lol...Hopefully, Wyeth will get the message and lower this price.
I was on a Climara patch for years after my cancer surgery and one day I just decided to stop them. I haven't taken any hormones now for over 8 years. but, I bet that is also why I am such a bitch most of the time.
great job!
Cathy, I'm not particularly bitchy, I just find the price increase out of this world. My biggest problem are the migraines. I'll keep after them as much as I can.
oh honey i feel so bad for you. i took them eight years but only for the hot flash and bitchy stuff. yours is much more serious stuff. give 'em hell honey...
hugs, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoo
Your message was great. You should have been a lawyer!
I agree with Rudee you should have been a Lawyer. I have to confess something. When I left my last comment I hadn't read all of your post. I clicked right over and watched your interview and then left my comment. I came back now to finish reading your article and read about your horrible migraines. Nothing is worse than a hormone related migraine. I am sorry you are having them and I do hope they lower the cost of this drug. I despise the pharmaceutical companies.
Well done Rositta. It seems the conjugated oestrogens from plant sources is still available after all, according to that article, although I thought it discontinued. They were biologically the same and as I said that's what we used in the hospital for years.
I took HRT for twenty years, mostly as a prevention for osteoporosis, since my mother was crippled with it. I went off it two years ago, but weaned myself off very gradually, going from 0.6mg to 0.3 mg then from once a day to every second day to three times a week, etc. It took months but luckily I never had the problems that I thought might arise come back.
That said, this increase is ridiculous but don't hold your breath waiting for them to reduce it. I will be very surprised if they do.
Good for you! Such a professional interview. I can't believe that a price increase like that is actually legal. If Premarin increases your quality of life it should be your right to get it at a decent price. Let's hope the protests bring results.
Thank you all for your kind comments. I suppose I would have liked to be a lawyer but really what I like best is to be a consumer advocate. I suspect though this is not going to be as easy as The National Bank of Greece was last year. I'll keep trying though.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home