Morning Sickness - Smarter Kids
When I was pregnant, 44 years ago, I spent the first four months puking my guts out. The doctor of the day prescribed Thalidomide but I didn't take it. I'm not sure if it was what would become a lifelong aversion to drugs that made me not take it or divine intervention, nevertheless it was lucky for me and the offspring that I didn't. Thalidomide as we all know caused severe birth defects in babies, one of which turned out to be the child of a neighbour. This baby was born with flippers for arms and feet. It was very sad and because there was very little support for these parents in those days, the child was sent to an institution.
Now there is a new study out that women who suffer from severe morning sickness produce brighter children. So there you go offspring, no matter what other horrible genetic markers you got from me, at least your smart.
Labels: Health





5 Comments:
For one of my kids, I was puking up for almost 7 months. I wasn't prescribed Thalidomide, thank goodness, but the doc did give me some minty tasting liquid. Well, it didn't work and sure tasted a lot worse coming back up than not taking it, so I stopped that in a hurry:) I never heard the bit about severe morning sickness producing brighter children. I think I'll mention that to her, since she certainly is bright:))
Well that was a blessing, wasn't it?
oh my gosh, imagine if you had taken that medication, horrors!
smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Hey... i'm he one she's talkin about, that parental unit of mine.
Funny thing about thalidomide is that there are two versions of it, called enantiomers. One, the L version (as opposed to the R version) is the one that caused the problems. The other version works just as advertised, with no side effects.
There's your science fact of the day from the smart(ass) kid.
Guess the scientists were right Teddy, your living proof...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home