The View From Here

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Two Years Ago

My beloved Mother was in hospital. She had already been there for two weeks with heart arrhythmia and we were waiting for an MRI that never happened. I was also waiting for them to give her a pacemaker which didn't happen until four weeks later. One week later she died. She died on May 12, 2007 one day before Mothers Day.

I am reliving that time as I wait for my twice daily updates from Greece on the condition of my Mother In Law. Today my MIL was intubated since she could no longer breathe on her own. I understand that this was a difficult procedure as the tumor from the thyroid had wrapped itself around the larynx. Tomorrow they will operate to try and remove as much of that tumor as possible.

My mother went into a coma the day before she died and no one was ever able to explain why. I was told that if I wanted to have her intubated I was only prolonging the inevitable. If she couldn't breathe on her own she would die, it was only a matter of time.

I chose to let her go as peacefully as possible. It was a difficult decision, probably the most difficult one I've ever had to make in my life. My husband stood by me in this time of crisis. I am unable to do the same for him. We are thousands of miles apart. I am sitting here alone in my house crying and unable to tell him, let her go. Don't cause unnecessary suffering. It won't change the outcome, the cancer has spread too far and wide. But I cant tell him that, not on the phone. Besides, he's not the only one to make decisions. Both my BIL and SIL want her kept alive at any cost. I suspect that even if my MIL had made her wishes known it wouldn't matter at all in the end. Things are different in Greece. Tomorrow will be a hard day.

The sad part in all of this...last September I sensed there was something not quite right. She seemed unnaturally short of breath and spent too much time sleeping. I brought it up with both my husband and my SIL and was assured that the doctor thought it was just her heart and the medicine she was taking. She was also hospitalized last March briefly and no one checked her over. The doctor now says this cancer has been growing at least 8 years and had it been caught even last year she would have had a fighting chance. Now, I think it's a crap shoot...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i am so sorry to read this honey, especially that it might not have had to happen. terrible.

hugs, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

5:24 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I'm so sorry, Rositta. This must be so hard for you, far away and not being able to do anything. And then the memories of what happened to your Mother.
I can only wish for you to be strong.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Rudee said...

Hopefully, she is sedated while on mechanical ventilation. This will make her more comfortable. I pray she is peaceful.

Hugs,

Ruth

8:50 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Hi Rositta. Sorry to hear that you are going through another trauma like the one with your mother.

The news is indeed bad and hopefully they will make her as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.

Take care.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

I feel overwhelmed and so helpless. That's probably the worst thing for me, feeling helpless. It just seems that the last two years there is a big black cloud over us and yet I know that's stupid. There are many more people out there with worse things happening.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Zaz said...

dear rositta,
my aunt died of cancer in the "poumons" while i was visiting my parents.
i got the honor of being there for her last moments, she was intubed and i told her chris was fine and i was happy and kissed her face and she took my hand looking me intensly in both eyes and kissed my hand.
a few hours later she was dead.
she did not have fear in her eyes, just immense love, she was not of an easy going person and not one to say nice things and show affection.
we do not know what the dying go through, we make ideas in our heads that death is the worst "suffering for THEM", but in fact we only see our own suffering at not having them in our lives again.
OX

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home