The View From Here

Monday, March 23, 2009

Highway of Heroes

Support for the mission in Afghanistan amongst Canadians, this one included, is razor thin these days and most other NATO countries want to get out as well. Fox News airing the show (from my last post) and not immediately apologizing to Canadians just makes this worse. When will they start making fun of the other NATO countries that are there to help America or is it just Canada that they hate? Canadians are outraged and rightly so. We know that not all Americans share this view but unfortunately there are many who do.

Canadian soldiers have been fighting in Afghanistan since late 2001 and for the past four years fighting and dying in one of the most dangerous parts of the country and trust me, I doubt manicures and pedicures are part of their routine.

This afternoon at 2:00 PM, four more Canadian Soldiers are being repatriated at CFB Trenton, Ontario and will make the long trek along the Highway of Heroes to the Coroner in Toronto. Overpasses along the route will be full of ordinary people, police and firefighters all holding the Canadian flag proudly.



Even though I have never agreed with this war and would like nothing better than to see our military out of there, I am immensely proud of them and cry for their families. I agree with our Prime Minister, this is a war than cannot be won.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

Besides the views espoused by Fox News, and their ilk, I've NEVER heard another American speak poorly of Canada. Rositta, I work in a border town with many Canadians. I've never heard talk the likes of what I heard on that newscast. These days, there aren't too many Americans who want to support either war right now either.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

The Americans that live in border towns and cities generally like Canadians or at least understand us. What got most people riled up was the absolute hatred and vitriol that came through in that video. The comedian Doug Benson was meant to do a show in Edmonton next week but there have been threats against him so the show was canceled. Edmonton has a large army base so that doesn't surprise me...

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home