The View From Here

Friday, February 19, 2010

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Fybromyalgia

When I woke up this morning, I knew I was in trouble. I'd been unually tired, cranky and headachy the last couple of days but this morning I woke with a burning and tingling sensation that worked it's way from my left buttock down the whole leg. I knew the signs right away having had them often enough over the last 15 years or so. It is a flare up of Fybromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Once it starts there's not much I can do except ride out the pain as best as I can. Right now the headache is raging and I know it's not a migraine so the usual drugs won't work, and every joint in my body aches.

Back to bed with heat, Tylenol 3's and Diflunisal for at least two days or so before this resolves itself. I hope I feel better as we have our monthly bridge get together and I hate to miss is. At least there's the Olympics to watch on T.V. God, I hate being sick.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

Oh, no! That sounds awful. I hope you're feeling better, soon.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

You haven't been lifting or moving any thing around have you?

I'm sorry to hear you hurt. I know what a drag pain is. We all need an off switch.

Hope you feel better soon, my friend.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Rudee, a whole day in bed with warmth and drugs has made me a little better tonight. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Usually the second day is worse.
Chrys, I carried three bags of groceries yesterday and went up and down stairs a lot. Thanks for caring.

9:23 PM  
Blogger janet copenhaver said...

Have you ever taken Remicade??
It has been a life saver for me from the pain.

Likely to take years off my life, because it is a very powerful drug, but it works and I look forward to my fix every month.
Hope you find relief soon!!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Janeywan, thanks for visiting. There is a whole class of drugs that I am unable to take for various reasons. Remicade has been discussed and discounted because of a family history of Chronic Lymphocitic Leukemia. There are other drugs too that have been discounted because of Retinal issues. So far the only drug that I might consider is Methorexate and will discuss with the Rheuma doctor in April. All of these drugs scare the living daylights out of me though...

10:57 AM  
Blogger janet copenhaver said...

Methotrexate worked fairly well for me for years. For me not being able to walk or move without pain scares me to death. Guess we have to pick our poisons.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Your right Janeywan, I'm going to have to pick soon. Walking is getting harder all the time.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I can't imagine living with that kind of pain. I hope you feel better soon. Take care,
V.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Voyager, thank you. Thus far I'm not much better yet, I may have to try stronger drugs for a while, sigh...

12:00 PM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

I was wondering how you were doing. I meant to contact you before now. I'm so sorry you don't feel better yet. Maybe time to get that checked out?

12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Rositta,
Thanks so much for you comment on my blog. It always helps knowing there is people out there cheering you on. Please know that I am here cheering you on and hope that you are out of bed and feeling better today.
Cathy

12:40 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Chrysalis, my doctors office is closed until next Tuesday, they are moving and entire medical building to a new location. I am sort of up and about today and will try to spend some time on the exercise bike. Maybe that will help a little. Cathy, your welcome. I really didn't know that there were so many bloggers out there with the same health problems. I do try not to make it the focus of the blog but lately I can't get my head around serious subject.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

OH I am so sorry to hear of your discomfort. Wow that just sucks. I know when I was first diagnosed with migraines I was bed ridden for days and felt so helpless.

If heat helps is there any way of getting you to a hot tub or steam room?

Hugs my friend....take care...

10:13 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Thanks MaryAnne, I have been taking lots of hot baths the last few days. I used to go to a hot pool exercise program at our local hospital but it got canceled because of lack of funding.

10:33 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

By the time you read this I sincerely hope your situation has improved. Keep enjoying the Olympic Games if you can. Get better!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Stink Eye & Tube Steak said...

Sweety, feel your pain, haven't been blogging because of it. The chronic fatigue has given me the Lupus mask, and I am dumbed out. My body feels like I was on the rack at the Tower of London.

Soooooo, just thought I would give you some ideas about supplements.

CO Q10, energy, plus I am pretty sure it has some immune enhancers.

Magnesium twice a day (muscles)

Have I mentioned tramacet~~~takes the edge off, and non narcotic. No, I don't feel like the pain is all gone, but I can function.

Malic Acid

Oh and don't take your magnesium in a calcium supplement. Just an FYI, calcium taken in too great of a quantity can screw up your muscles.

Flor Essence~~~gentle cleanse, if you are taking anything compounded with tylenol, you need this. It has thistle in it, and really cleans out the liver toxins.

Make sure you ask your MD if any of these things will interfere with any meds you are on.

Also, there is a blue book at Chapters, it's small, to the point, it's by Carolyn Bested. Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue, I really recommend it.

Hope you are out of the flare, I've been in one since December, sucks bum, but what can you do?

10:20 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Lisa, thanks for the advice. I will try a couple of your recommendations especially the Flor Essence. I'm not totally out of this yet but better than last week. The fatigue is the hardest on me right now.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous G. Out said...

If you go to the doctor, he or she wishes to know the symptoms. You will have a number of issues, including the severity of the pain you are, the location of the pain and if it hurts more. Furthermore, a physical examination will be done. Your doctor will ask the range of motion, you see. He or she wants the site, is the feelingsuffer pain. Want to take a medical history of your experience, if you do not have a file. All this information points towards the physician to make a decision.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hey there G.Out...I have the same PCP since 40 years, the same orthopod for 12 years and the same Rheumy doc about 6 years. They are all well aware but they all want me on drugs. I'm considering...

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home