The View From Here

Sunday, December 02, 2012

Why Did I Think This Was A Good Idea?

I had some yarn left from a previous project so I got the brilliant idea of making a little curly scarf as a Christmas present, for whom I don't know yet.

It's a pretty simple knit and I'd made one before, albeit with thicker yarn. This was lace weight. Anyway, I did cast one 186 stitches and proceeded with the pattern of increasing every few rows. By the time I hit row 9 I had 1023 stitches on my 60" cable needle and I am pretty fed up with this thing. Since perseverance is my middle name I'm going to continue with the last row but cheat a little. The last row is knit 1, yarn over and knit again in the same stitch thereby making 3 stitches out of 1. I'm just going to do two out one stitch. I figure that's going to be curly enough and if not too bad.


Our trip to California was a lot of fun, airport security not so much. As usual because I beep (my hips) I was patted down pretty good but what was new this time was them checking their rubber gloves for residual explosive material! Really... We spent our two weeks doing family stuff and I overdosed on Mexican food. I could eat that every day. I managed to find one, yes you read that right, only one yarn shop in Merino Valley and Riverside (halfway between LA and Palm Springs) and when I went to visit to buy some yarn I was severely disappointed. I went into the store with the intention of purchasing some yarn and I was the only person other than either the owner or employee in the shop. I was not acknowledged in any way. No hello, how are you, etc that a prudent shopkeeper would say, nothing, nada and zilch. After wandering around this shop for minutes or so I left empty handed. Guess they didn't need my business.


I also managed to finish a wonderfully warm cardigan, just in time for winter. It's made with Cascade 220 and because I like this yarn so much I've just ordered a whole shit load of it.

A really crappy photo, I know. I must get a new camera although lighting is a big problem It's really dreary outside and will be that way all week. My house is really dark.

On the health front I have given up Methotrexate after seven months. I just simply couldn't take the side effects any more. I'm just going to go with Aleeve and bite the bullet. I'm also scheduled for a Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy in mid December to see what the issues in my gut are. The doc is beginning to suspect Colitis. Meanwhile I have been given an opioid drug and it has almost completely cured the issue at one eighth the initial recommended dosage. I'll have the tests anyway just to be sure there is nothing else bad going on in there.

Oh yes, I have tickets for Leonard Cohen for this Tuesday night at the Air Canada Centre. I am so excited to see him. The last time I saw him was in the 60's in a dingy little smoke filled coffee house in Montreal. Early Christmas present from the offspring.






1 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

Over a thousand lace weight stitches? Oy. I'd have a headache.

It's good to hear your trip to Cali was a good one. I love the Mexican food there, too. It's a shame about the yarn store.

My friend just went to see a holistic M.D. for her RA. She just came off methotrexate, too, and thinks she's doing well with nutritional supplements. If you wish, I'll ask her what she's on.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home