The View From Here

Monday, April 09, 2007

Nothing To Be Proud Of

I have always had incredible faith in the young people of today. In spite of the number of shootings and killings between young people I know most of them are inherently good and kind and have rarely had bad experiences.

I'm reading this mornings paper and came across the interview with some of the young Canadian students who were on the ship that sank off the island of Santorini last weekend. Here's what I read with dismay;

.....she and her friends had no life jackets. When she saw a man clutching one, she pleaded with him to hand it over. She said she made a fist and punched him in the face when he wouldn't.

He was holding it and he was 40 years old and we were kids,"she explained, adding that she pulled the life jacket from him and gave it to a friend.

(name deleted) said she later punched another man and took his life jacket for herself."
I found this disturbing on several levels, mostly because I was taught to always help someone else before worrying about myself and because two people died on that ship. Was the man this girl "punched" the one who died? Was he going to give it to his 16 year old daughter, that also died? We will never know will we.

I wasn't going to blog today since I have much to do this morning before I head to the hospital, but reading this story just really pissed me off, so much for random acts of kindness.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rositta, I saw your comment on ED's blog and came here to see yours because I found the young girl's reaction to be disturbing (it didn't matter if she was Canadian or French or from Mars). Just so you know, I am ashamed when I hear stories about "ugly Americans" also. It gives nice people a bad name. But in all fairness, I've seen a lot of bad behavior from a lot of people worldwide. What happened to showing respect and having manners?

3:50 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

You are correct, bad manners have nothing to do with where your from. It just happened to be in my morning paper. I don't believe all Americans behave badly just as I don't believe all young people behave badly, in fact there is a blogger buddy in the US who performs random acts of kindness and believes in "paying forward" and she has quite a following. I was just so disturbed that this girl would almost brag about her bad behaviour, I would have been ashamed...

9:12 AM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

Don't let it get you down Rositta. The world isn't perfect. We all have room to improve and certainly the will to survive often overcomes kindness.
Let's pray for everyone on that ship and those who were lost.
I hope your day goes well and your mom has a sudden turn-around!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Really??
That is horrific.

I think that represents the sad times and selfish creatures we are raising....wow....

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home