The View From Here

Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Salsa Recipe

For those of you who asked, here is the recipe for the Salsa. I hope you enjoy it...


(makes 5 - 500 ml jars)
(1 cup = 250 ml)

6 Jalapeno Peppers
7 cups prepared tomatoes (roughly 6 pounds) Pour boiling water over tomatoes, skin and seed and chop into small pieces.
2 cups coarsley chopped onions
1 cup coarsley chopped green pepper
3 cloves garlic,finely chopped
1 can tomato paste (a little more if tomatoes are watery)
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (I think you can substitute oregano or basil if you don't like cilantro)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
(if you really want it hot add tsp ground cayenne pepper)

Put everything in a pot and bring to a boil. Boil gently for roughly half hour or until it has the thickness you like.

Meanwhile, in a canner boil mason jars for 10 minutes. In a separate pot boil mason snap lids to soften seals.

Ladle salsa into hot jars, wipe rims, put on snap lid and screw bands.

Return all jars to the canning pot with at least and inch of water covering the jars, bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes. Remove jars from the water bath and let sit for 24 hours.

Enjoy

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kahshe Cottager said...

I make chili sauce which is similar to this and so yummy too! It's nice to have home made things from the garden in the middle of winter!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

Oh my gosh, what an absolutely adorable icon above me from kahshe cottager. Love that!

Now, where was I, oh yes...That sounds so good Rositta. I can't wait to try it. I love salsa. I will definitely have to try it!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hi Chrys, the Kashe cottager is in my neck of the woods. you can use up to 8 Jalapeno peppers if you like it really hot...

2:45 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I wish I had time to make my own salsa!!
I managed to bake cookies with my son today. That's it for my domesticity this weekend.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home