The View From Here

Friday, August 17, 2007

Why I Blog

I started this blog in November of 2005 mostly because my offspring thought I should have one and what the heck, I'm always game to try something new. So with the help of IM the offspring talked me through setting this blog up. We were heading off to California to visit with my husbands two sons who live there, and my offspring thought by having a blog he would be better able to keep track of what I was up to.

I was such a neophyte, I had absolutely no clue what a HTLM code was or how to upload photos, size them and post them. So every morning as I was having my coffee in my stepson's backyard, I would log on and try to figure out a little more of the puzzle.

When we came home from the trip I thought I'd try a little longer, see if I could keep it going. I had lots of ideas, lots of opinions on stuff but really, I'm not a writer, fight with punctuation all the time and the only thing I'm really good at is spelling. I rarely use spell check.

I started finding other blogs and leaving the occasional comment. That in itself was hard for me, I'm actually a shy person. Most people who know me wouldn't say that about me, I mean I was a reasonably successful real estate agent for over twenty years, but it was a constant battle with myself to "be out there". I'm also incredibly opinionated as my bridge buddies would attest to. Since my really bad arthritis cut short my career I became more and more withdrawn and went into a funk. My interests and hobbies became very solitary and I spent most of my time in my chair knitting or doing stuff with and for my Mom who lived with us.

The blog became directionless, some days I was ranting about current events and other days posting knitting projects. It all became too confusing so finally I split them into two different blogs. Different people visited both blogs and I made some nice friends through the knitting blog.

During the last nine months of my Mother's life through necessity this time, I rarely went out. I was deathly afraid to leave her alone and when Steve and I did go out for an evening we arranged someone to come stay with her. She'd had a couple of falls and I was terrified we'd come home and find her on the floor. That trip to California was the last time I travelled together with my husband anywhere.

The blog became my outlet, my place to let some stuff out knowing that nobody really knew who I was. My mother hated the computer, even though I was with her 24/7 she thought it took away from her. It became my escape. All during my mother's hospitalization without the blog I think I would have gone nuts, or at least more nuts than I already am.

Now I'm going through my own crisis and have discovered that there are a lot of caring people out there, one in particular who will remain anonymous, but who has been sending lots of prayers and helpful advice my way. That has been the most surprising thing about this whole adventure. People are actually visiting, reading and once in a while commenting.

I have read some other blogs where the authors complain about low readership and some have even quit. That was never my motivation, it's nice but it's not the main event. I may slow down, or I may quit but never because no one visits.

In two weeks I'm off travelling with my husband, our first trip together in almost two years and we hope to have a wonderful time. I hope to have some stories to tell and pictures to post and I'm sure finding Internet Cafes won't be too difficult. Lucky for me, through this blog I have made a friend in Athens who I would never have met were it not for the power of the net....that's one of the best reasons to continue blogging, it brings people together.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Patricia said...

Rositta, I am so glad that you left a comment on Pollywog Creek. In reading your post, I think we have much in common. I, too, cared for my mother in our home prior to her death and was rarely able to leave the house. It was a hard season, but I am blessed that I was able to love and care for her in the last years of her life. I am sorry to read that you are in the midst of a crisis of your own, and I am praying for you even now. I will look forward to reading of your time away with your husband. May it be one of refreshment and renewal. Blessings! Patricia

12:36 AM  
Blogger Dr. A said...

Great post! I love reading people's stories on how they started blogging...

BTW, thanks for your comment on my blog. I have looked around over here and liked what I've read. Keep up the great work. I'm going to add you to my blogroll.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Patricia, thank you for visiting. I would gladly give up blogging and my computer if my Mom were still with me...funny how that works. Dr. A. Thanks too for your comments I like your blog too...ciao
I'm going to be doing some blog maintenance soon and add more blogs to my sidebar.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

I second you Rositta. It can be such a fountain of good, just like anything else, T.V., radio, books - it's all in what comes out from them, all mediums have good and bad. I'm with you there are some wonderful people out here. YOU included! Now see, I would have never known about your blogging had you not left a nice little comment on mine. I'm so glad you did! Keep blogging.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

After this little pop up box closed I saw you've added me on the side. Thank you. I would have never known, thanks again, I consider that an honor.

9:08 AM  
Blogger CaliGirl said...

the reason you do your blog is what it should be IMO. do it for yourself and not others. i am one who doesnt worry about numbers of visits to my blog...its there for me to ramble and just get stuff off my chest. sure sometimes i dont want to blog and go a week or two before a new update...but its there for me.

as for bringing people together i agree with you 100% on that one. its amazing how you can get to know someone via this darn thing.

hugs to you rositta :) enjoy your well deserved vacation

2:16 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Thank you all for your comments, I truly hope to enjoy my time away.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I'm so glad you decided to blog. Yours is one of my favorites! And by the way, great idea for a post!

Carol

11:10 AM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

very nice blog! and i think your trip sounds wonderful!!! enjoy...

smiles, bee

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home