The View From Here

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Where Does My Tax Money Go?

I just about spewed my morning coffee all over my keyboard as I read this story.

It's no wonder the City of Toronto doesn't have enough money for basic services if this is what they also pay for. I would like my property tax money to go for services like garbage removal, snow removal, road repairs, police and fire services, libraries and parks.

I may have missed one or two important items but supporting polygamous Muslim relationships is not where my property tax money ought to go. This is Canada for goodness sake, when did polygamy become legal?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Wow, there are always people who abuse the system, but this does not go down well with anybody, surely. To have a society within a society, with its own rules, is highly controversial. Incidentally the archbishop of Canterbury (high priest of the Anglican church) said just the other day something about incorporating some of sharia law in the UK, which has resulted in calls for him to resign!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hi there Swenglishexpant.. I believe in hand up not hand out. I think everyone who hits hard times needs to be helped but this is insane. Sharia law almost made it to Ontario and I'm not sure the idea is quite dead yet...

2:23 PM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

Interesting use of money. I'd be mad, too.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hi Dianne, I am not sure that it's any different in Germany. My friend who used to work in the Immigration Department at the airport told me there was no way of determining who was a legal wife and who was the "cousin". Once they are in the country it's pretty much a free for all...ciao

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home