The View From Here

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Getting Serious About Cancer

Sometimes I think I've gone a little off track with this blog and I'm doing too many "fluffy" posts and maybe it's time to reassess. Now, I am not a writer, I have no journalistic background and have absolutely no illusions about having any talent. I used to desperately want to write, maybe columnist type stuff but recognized a long time ago that I lack both the education and talent.

I have a very complicated personality. I am very much a loner and loved being at our cabin for weeks at a time doing my pottery and rarely speaking to anyone and I spend most of my days at home now doing nothing but knitting and surfing the web. The other "me" was a successful realtor for 25 years which required major interaction with human beings, which I found amazing.

But I need to write about the things that I consider to be wrong in this world, the things that bug me and weigh on me. I guess I think if I get them out there they will bother me less. Sometimes it works, other times not so much.

My friend was diagnosed with breast cancer a week before Christmas. If she is very lucky, she will have the surgery February 11th. She told me that the tumor is "ragged" and almost 4 cm. Doing a little research myself tells me that this is not good. My friend also has fibromyalgia and like me tends to put any tiredness or pain down to that condition. Problem was, this time her tiredness and pain were caused by cancer. My friend doesn't smoke yet it was the first question asked of her. Why, when so many other things cause cancer is this always the first question?

I did a post a couple of years ago on this subject and linked a CBC story called Chasing the Cancer in which Wendy Mesley who herself had breast cancer did lots of research into the chemical equation. Did you know that most face creams contain Paraben, which is a carcinogen? Or that antiperspirants have some type of aluminum that is also a carcinogen? And then there was the water bottle issue of a couple of months ago which seems to have been forgotten. Bisphenol-A is still around and is still going into our bodies. Of course it's easier to blame the victim.

So now my friend waits in line for her surgery and will wait in an even long line for radiation. It's enough to make me cry. There is not much I can do for her except to be there when she needs me and to hold her hand.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

You're a good friend to her.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i am so sorry to hear this. i hope for her a speedy recovery and fast access to medical attention...

smiles, bee

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that the smoking question has to do with ways that the medical profession may be able to help you quit so that you stand a better chance of more successful healing. Smoking has such a detrimental effect on so many body functions that it definitely makes healing more challenging. So perhaps it's not a question of condemnation as much as one of helping reach the ultimate in future health. I don't really know, but it's probably easier to think of it that way, than to wonder if one has just been asked if they brought on their own cancer "experience"? At any rate, like so many others, I will be holding your friend (and you, as an important part of her support system), in my strongest possible positive thoughts.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Anonymous, you could be right. It's just the way the question was asked of both my friend and Wendy Mesley talked about it on the tv special that offends. I hold my breath when it comes to dealing with the Canadian health care system unless you are a strong advocate for yourself or have one on your behalf you are shuffled aside, especially if you an elderly woman...Thank you for commenting.

7:22 PM  
Blogger ipanema said...

this is so sad to read. my prayers. i remember my friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago adn it just tears me apart.

at least she has you as a friend. that counts a lot.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

Oh, how sad! Your post reminds me of when my friend was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer even though she hadn't smoked a day in her life. I had heard of the carcinogens in deodorant, but had't heard about the others. Wow. I remember feeling so helpless when my friend broke the news, I ended up shaving my head to raise money for the cause (not that I recommend this for you). I wish the best for you and your friend.

PS. You are a good writer!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Ipanema, that tv special was an eye opener for me. I tossed everything that had paraben in it in the trash.
Dianne, thanks for stopping by, I hope your friend made it. Shaving my head, not...other things for sure I can do...ciao

3:07 PM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

Rositta, I wish your friend could get to the states here, like when I spoke to you some time ago. I think the question of smoking also has a lot to do with them trying to find a cause(documentation). As of yet, they still do notknow exactly what causes the breast cancers. It isn't meant to condemn. It is also necessary to know, to deal with treatment issues. If she is to have radiation of any kind, they will need to know this as radiation is over the lungs. They aren't looking to blame, but I know and understand the feeling. I realized the state of things when I sat there hooked up to chemo and the person next to me was hooked up to theirs and said "but I smoked for such and such years." My heart broke for them, I realized the added burden they carried - feeling they had caused it themselves, which may not at all be the case. If I can help in ANY way Rositta, you know how to contact me personally. I will keep your friend in my prayers.

6:49 PM  
Blogger SeaSpray said...

I hope and pray That your friend will be alright. Chrysalis is right...it would be good if she could come to the states to get faster treatment.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

If it was me I'd be on my way to the states no question. My friend doesn't have the resources and I can't push it. All I can do is be there when she needs me...ciao

10:45 AM  
Blogger SeaSpray said...

If only there was a way to combine the best of both of our medical systems.

2:38 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Your right Seaspray, a combination would be good. Germany, in mind has the best system with a combination of private and public. I've seen how it works and was mightily impressed...

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home