The View From Here

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Blogging With Risk

There is currently a human rights trial happening in Vancouver, British Columbia with the subject being a hate crime.

Will bloggers who write about these things also end up in front of the tribunal?

I link you to this .

We don't always have to agree with everything that is written but I believe that we must guard against the loss of freedom of speech. The man who is at the centre of this complaint is Mark Steyn who wrote a book, of which an excerpt was printed in Macleans magazine. I don't particularly like this writer but taking away his freedom of speech is wrong.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Rositta said...

I've been told word verification is not working, so I'm testing it.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Rudee said...

Edited because obviously, my blood sugar is too low to think:

Silence is not always golden. The freedom to speak our minds is a right we should all cherish and protect.

I read Mark Steyn's book excerpt. It is food for thought.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

rudee, you are right, we must cherish freedom of speech. There are days I wish my parents had emigrated to America instead of Canada.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

And vice versa Rositta.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

I guess the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence...ciao

3:48 PM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

I think we will be seeing more and more of this as people blog. We had a situation with the medical blogs, and now in our local paper, they've been threating any one who teaches and keeps a blog that they will lose their jobs. Freedom of speech may be going by the wayside.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home