The View From Here

Friday, June 27, 2008

Honor Killings?

An update to this story comes in todays news. The brother of Aqsa Parvez has now been charged with first degree murder along with his father. The police suspect this may be a case of honor killing. Very sad story...

Back in December a father murdered his daughter. I wrote about it at the time here.

At the time the father was charged with second degree murder. These charges have now been upgraded to first degree murder. At the time Aqsa Parvez was murdered her mother, brother and sister were at home. Why were they not protecting her? She was only 16 years old. I am a mother and I would protect my child with my life, why didn't her mother step in and stop this murder?

I just it all hinges on whether or not he intended to murder his daughter and it seems the police seem to think so. This is the first time in my memory that a young Muslim girl was murdered by her relative in this country and I hope it is not the beginning of a trend.

This is nothing new in other countries with large Muslim populations, most notably Germany, which has had quite a few over the years. It must be incredibly difficult for these young girls who just want to fit in and be Canadian to discover that their families won't allow it. The price of freedom could be death...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Chrysalis said...

Terrible thing, Rositta. There was a case in the news recently of a father killing their, I think, two year old child in full view of spectators in a parking lot or some such. Not one person lifted a finger to intervene. They all said they were too afraid - of one man. He'd have to get me first, before he could do that to a child. What a world.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

I can't imagine what brings a family to this point. How sad for all including the community.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

The community will rally around the father, they will say it's okay that this happened because his daughter didn't want to obey the rules. But here in the West, it's not okay. That is the big cultural divide and an issue that will have to be solved...ciao

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Anonymous, sorry comments like yours are not welcome here...

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home