A Final Walk
It's funny how fast 10 days can go by, it seems like just yesterday that I arrived here in my Mother's homeland. Today I took my final walk along the beach. Tellingly, it was a gray and rainy afternoon although the morning had started out sunny. The clouds hung low in the sky and my mood was similar. I shed some tears thinking back how I should have listened more to the stories my Mom was always telling me but like most people, I thought they'd always be there. Now I break my head trying to remember everything and find I can't.
I loved my Mom, more than most daughters I suspect but I think that came from being a tight and small family unit in a strange land. Since she died in May of 2007 I think of her daily but here in the town of her birth more so. I have met some cousins and and elderly aunt who is now bedridden and clearly in decline but some have shown little interest in meeting me. I suspect that a time span of over 50 years can do that. My wonderful cousin and his lovely wife whose guest I have been, have more than made up for those who have shown no interest. I have seen many things and have heard many stories about life in the former East Germany, some sad and some not so sad. I does my heart good to hear that not all suffered.
The saddest place I visted with Pennemunde and of which I will write another time. It is a very sad place and as I walked around and viewed an old submarine and saw all the abandoned buildings I felt someone walking on my grave. I have heard stories of people running over corpses to escape and somehow I could feel the ghosts. I could hardly wait to get out of that town. It was also where my father came close to loosing his life.
Today on my final day, I walked the beach, gathered some shells and stones and said goodbye...hopefully not forever.

Back to Athens tomorrow and as always, more photos on my Flickr site.
Labels: German Trip, travel 2008





2 Comments:
i am so glad you got to go there...
smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
I can't wait to hear the stories of Pennemunde. I know a bit of the history but would like to hear tales from your relatives who recall.
It sounds and looks like you had a mostly wonderful trip to Germany. You also look a bit forlorn to leave...
Hugs to you my friend. Have a safe trip back to the sunshine.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home