The View From Here

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Not Going Too Far - Gas Shortages Strike Athens

Although we had some plans for the weekend that included driving, we have decided to stay close to home. There are gas shortages due to a strike and we really don't want to take a chance of getting stranded somewhere. Hopefully they won't last too long as there are still some things on my agenda that require traveling.

The weather is not exactly cooperating right now either, it's kind of chilly and overcast. It's actually warmer in Toronto than in Athens at the moment. I hope though for some beach weather soon. If not I'm going to have to buy myself some warmer clothes and I hate doing that here. I find Greece to be incredibly expensive compared to either home or Germany and can't quite figure out why. Yesterday we bough a pound of ground beef which cost about 5 euros, I find that pricey. The salaries here are way lower than anywhere else in the EU so it doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure smarter people than me will know the reasons for this disparity.

If I've been sounding a bit negative it's only because of the hot water and laundry issues, which are still not resolved but really we live in a nice area in a nice building. Furniture of course would make it better.

The view from our terrace. If I wanted to climb stairs to the top of the building, I would see the water.

View From our Balcony

Steve gets a motorcycle ride from his niece's boyfriend...my turn on Friday.

A Ride For Steve

After he saw this photo he decided he needed a haircut. A search in the immediate neighbourhood didn't turn up any hairdressers so I cut his hair myself last night. Did a decent job of it too I might add. I also baked my first cake (from scratch I might add) here yesterday and that was a bit hit and miss. It didn't look too great but tasted good. I didn't have a recipe, measuring cup, mixer and couldn't for the life of me figure out how much 350F is in celsius...

Today I'm just going to chill and work on the socks that I'm knitting...ciao

4 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

Snuggle up-put you CPH on and knit those socks! Your sweetie looks so happy and in his element! I hope you find hot water and gasoline soon!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

Greece had become so expensive. I miss the days of the drachmas!

10:10 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

As I've been saying (though everyone keeps telling me I'm a liar), Greece is expensive because of price gouging, cartels, monopolies and corruption. It's simply not a free marketplace, and the mentality is not to lower prices to gain more customers; it's to raise prices and get as much profit as possible.

Generally, I cut the Fahrenheit in half to convert to Celsius (350 becomes 175). Yes, there is a more exact conversion that involves dividing and multiplying, but I've been using my approximating method for 11 years and it works fine. I tend to keep an eye on things (like you), just in case. I haven't used a mixer ever, and most people use a mug or glass as a measuring cup. The idea is that if all ingredients are in proportion, all is well. I get recipes off the Net.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Yup Rudee, we are snuggling and thank God for the CPH, it's been a lifesaver both in Germany and here.
Dianne, your right, the days of the drachma were better,in Germany the DM also.
Kat, I'm not the one who thought you were lying about prices and corruption...I've always known that. Thanks for the tip on C vs F, I hardly ever need a recipe but a mixer with my bad hands would have been good... see ya

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home