Lost In Translation...
Today was my four month appointment with me Rheumatologist and we discussed among other things my foot. She is the doctor who set up the referral with the orthopaedic specialist I consulted and he is a well known and reputable doctor. In fact, both she and my current ortho guy (who did my hip but doesn't do feet) were in residency under this most respected doctor.
I'm not sure if I wrote about this before but my consult with this guy was a disaster. I was called in on a cancellation and said sure I'd be there. I rushed to pick up my x-rays from a different clinic and booted it to his office only to sit, and sit and sit some more. Two hours to be exact I sat and waited to be seen. When he finally did come into his consult room I was just in the process of putting my socks and shoes back on, I was leaving. He said, go ahead...
Okay, I stayed and yes he looked at my foot. I asked him if he could "fix" it and he said "no sorry, won't operate until your sitting in a wheelchair". I told him I was too young to be this disabled with my feet and he suggested orthotics, which he just happened to sell, and/or the shoes that were also for sale in his office/store. Disappointed I did put on my socks and shoes and left. I was very disappointed with this man who is considered "the best". I left his office in tears and feeling very hopeless.
Today I discussed that visit with Dr. L and asked for a referral to another orthopaedic surgeon. She pulled out a letter that first doctor wrote to her outlining our appointment. I don't know who he was talking about but it wasn't me. He said "the patient" me, expected him to "wave a magic wand" and "make it all better". And he went on to say that he "had discussed "joint replacement surgery on two toes" and that I "patient flatly refused to consider at this time". He also said he discussed the Mortons Neuroma and the surgery and possible outcomes with me.
I don't know who he was writing about or what caused him to write such outright lies. I don't think this has ever happened to me before, at least not that I know of. Do you know what a referred doctors write in their reports to the referring doctor? Wow...
If I didn't have such a good relationship with my Rheumatologist I would never have found out but she read me the whole letter. She suggested I could phone him and book the surgery but truthfully even if he is the best, I've lost trust in him and I'd rather take my chances with someone else.
So now it's back to square one, back on a waiting list at the end of a very long line...
Labels: Health





10 Comments:
oh how awful! what an arrogant turd he is! good luck honey, i hope you get it resolved quickly.
hugs, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
I have run across arrogant doctors like that - like the one who told me I was in menopause and that's why I had horrible periods every two weeks or so. His solution was to prescribe pain medication. I was 32 years old at the time. Later, after going to a different doc, I found out that I had fibroid tumors and pre-cancerous cells.
He is a complete an utter ASS. I do know what referring doctors read and dictate and my friend, this isn't it. Primarily, they are 100% professional in respect to what they write. I'd ask for a copy of this letter and then report Dr. Thinkshe'sgodsgifttomankind to your medical association. Do you have Morton's Neuroma? My friend had successful surgery for that in the Detroit area. Argh. I'm angry for you and just as offended.
Rudee, I guess I wasn't clear. The rheumatologist is a woman and she referred me to the male doctor. He's the ass, she's a sweetie. In fact she looked at my husbands hand today and gave advice even though he's not her patient. Your right, I should report him but I won't. I pick my battles and I don't have the energy to fight this one. My son agrees with you though.
Renate, funny I had the same thing at age 33 and had to have a hysterectomy. I was lucky with the gynecologist I had, he recognized the problem right away. Convincing me to have the surgery though, was a little more difficult.
Dr. L has promised to find me another surgeon soon.
Oh honey, I am hot after reading this. If this guy is the best they have to offer then you are in trouble. he is an outright arrogant asshole. Who does he think he is? If we could be healed with magic wands then we could just use them ourselves, no need to even have any doctors. What a jerk. And those lies, I have also experienced that with Drs. writing letters back to my Docs who have shared them with me.
I'm with you, I wouldn't let this guy touch me with a 10 foot pole.
Rositta, I ended up having a hysterectomy also. It was hard to decide to go ahead with it, but I am so glad I had it done. Basically, I got my life back. My periods had gotten to be beyond awful.
Cathy, I wished I had a magic wand, what I could do with it...I think I'm going to write this doctor a nice letter telling him that I didn't appreciate his letter and that I hope he was just having a bad day...
How awful :( Some doctors think they own the world, don't they? I find it's always better to have a second opinion so just forget about him and move on.
As for your blog, I do understand and deal with the possibility of closing mine very often. I've had it for over 3 years too. But somehow I don't have the guts to do it. I hope you don't neither ;)
What a jerk. I would most likely have to call him up and get it straightened out, either on the phone or in person. But I do hope you will find some relief from a better Dr. soon.
Your right Brenda he is a jerk. Unfortunately there are a lot like him. I did go on line at ratemd.com where I left a bad rating for him...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home