Battling The Gremlins
My mother is having the fight of her life, she is battling the gremlins from her past. She has become delusional and thinks she is back in the Russian sector of Germany during war time. It is not a pretty place to be. She thinks people are hiding under her bed ready to pull the plug (she has no plugs to pull) and she thinks someone is preventing me from visiting her when I'm just gone for a couple of hours.
Today for the first time I was told what drugs are being administered to her and one of these Digoxin, causes exactly the side effects she is having. Since there is very little history of drugs in her life it was difficult to figure out that this might be an allergic reaction. I strongly suspect it to be so, since she certainly wasn't delusional when she entered hospital.
What is scary is this, if you don't have someone to advocate on your behalf you are basically toast. I had the hugest fight with the duty nurse on the phone and demanded the drug be stopped immediately until a doctor became available to speak with me. We went around and around that topic for a good half hour and I still didn't get anywhere.
Digoxin is basically a good drug and does the job it's meant to on most people. Unfortunately for my Mom it's not working. It just seemed too strange to watch the mental deterioration happening so quickly that I knew there was something else in play. Hopefully I can get this sorted out quickly.
Labels: Family





2 Comments:
Ooooh I feel your frustration.
Then nightmare we went through with my FIL. Talking in circles with the doctors and nurses, being told different things.
Nobody looking after him....what a fight.
thanks for visiting....
The doctors agreed it might be possible she is reacting to this drug and are changing her medications. My grandsons say tonight she is much more coherent and able to converse..we shall see.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home