The View From Here

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

How Safe Is Our Food Supply?

How many times a week do you eat fish, you know, nice fresh salmon filets or steaks? We're told how healthy this stuff is for our heart, nothing better than Omega 3, except maybe if the fish can poison you?

The same substance that has been associated with the deaths of cats and dogs in the United States and Canada recently has been found in farmed fish. Melamine is the substance and I always thought it was paint, you know the kind you use to paint cabinets and counter tops, meant to last a long time.

Well this stuff has been found in wheat gluten imported from China and added to the pet food and and fish meal. Why are we importing this stuff from China when this country has lots of wheat, I mean we grow it here don't we?

This is not the first time our food supply has been compromised, remember the spinach and e-coli, the contaminated sprouts on our grocery shelves, the imported carrot juice from California that caused botulism? That's all within the last 6 months and probably the only reason we hear about it is that someone died. When will the government agencies that are tasked with protecting our food supplies take their responsibilities seriously? Just wondering...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger African Kelli said...

Yikes. I don't have any answers for you, other than being a vegetarian is a good choice in many ways.
I do still occasionally eat salmon or tuna, but try to limit my intake because of mercury fears.
hope your week is going well R!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Kelli, even vegetarians had a problem this past year with contamination. I'm too old to give up meat and fish, I really like my protein...:)

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home