The View From Here

Monday, August 24, 2009

It's That Time Again

The time to pack for the trip to Greece and trying to decide what I really can't live without is difficult. So I've pulled out just about everything I think I need and put it into 10 pound piles. We are allowed four suitcases of 50 pounds each plus carry on. Of course since Steve has his hands full taking care of me and the laptop, he considers me his "carry on".

The plan is to spread this stuff evenly amongst the four suitcases and try to maybe put a few clothes in as well. Again I need two separate wardrobes since I decided last week to go to Germany as well. My friend left a message saying that if I was coming she needed to make a trip to the winery. That did it for me, I picked up the phone and said yes, foot or no foot, I'm coming.

packing

So what can't I live without? There are pecans, baking soda, maple syrup some for me some as gifts. There is coffee and kitchen gadgets. There is cutlery and scissors and really really sharp knives. There are sheets and duvet covers and of course my pillow. I never ever go anywhere without my pillow. Of course some of this stuff is available in Greece but here's the problem. We won't have a car immediately, there are no really good shops within walking distance, there is no mall close to us and the foot is still not good enough for long walks.

Speaking of the foot. This is the before...

This is the after...I went for a pedicure today. It's still not perfect and truly I had no idea that the recovery would be this long. I'm told the swelling could last another four months or so. But it does look better doesn't it? It was worth it, I hope. I just need to be able to walk pain free.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

That's some snappy nail polish, girlfriend. Too bad there isn't a home you could leave some of this stuff in when you come back home. Sure would make life easier.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I think your foot looks lovely now. What a change and also what a change from those post op pics. It looked so painful right after surgery.

Whatever you do, don't not take your pecans. I love Pecans. They would be a "have to take" for me.

Have a great time and I will be watching for updates.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Rudee, all the stuff I took last year is in a big box awaiting our return. We have a permanent home now in Athens so everything I take will stay put.
Cathy, the pecans are already in the suitcases, won't leave home without them.
We need a lot more stuff to furnish our new "pad" but it will be fun...

9:47 AM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i thought about you when i saw those fires, what a worry! have a great trip though, it should be over soon.

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

10:45 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Ms. Bee, the fires are north of where we live so we should be okay. The mountain behind our apartment already burned in July so there's not much left to burn, sadly. Hope Sarge is okay...

10:56 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Wow, it's like going camping! I took a lot of that stuff when we went to Denmark too - it's just so nice not to have to hunt around for it or use other people's kitchen stuff, isn't it?

And I think your foot is looking great!

Hope you have a great trip and that the fires stay out of your way.

3:52 AM  
Blogger christina said...

P.S. Can't remember if I told you this but I had a Greek boyfriend many, many moons ago and when we visited Greece for a couple of months once summer I took a huge can of maple syrup with me and the recipients would absolutely *not* believe that the syrup came from a tree. :-)

3:54 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hi Christina, yes maple syrup is the most important thing in that suitcase. I just read Ian in Hamburgs' latest post and he returned to Germany from Vancouver and took 115 kilos of groceries home with him. I'm not alone I guess...ciao

11:13 AM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

That's a lot of baggage but I know I like to take my share of personal stuff to wherever I go.
I wish you have a wonderful trip!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hi Devil Mood, a lot of that stuff stays behind now that we have a real home. I'll be coming home with empty luggage.

7:41 PM  
Blogger randi K design said...

My goodness, what happened to your foot? I saw further down that you had surgery.. Sure do look better on that top picture!
I hope you have a wonderful stay in Greece, and that you are far away from those terrible fires.
My oldest daughter and her husband were just a week at Rhodos on their honeymoon. She said it was beautiful, but hot..
Its hard to travel when you want to bring the "world" with you. I just went home to Norway for a month and was loaded..

8:27 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Randi, most people don't "get" the food stuff I'm bringing along that I really can't live without. The good thing is that on the return trip the suitcases will be almost empty. From your photos, Norway looks like a wonderful place, I wish I could go there someday...

9:54 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

I was thinking about you today, knowing I'll see you in a few days! Not good lifewise that I'm still here, but good that I'm here to see you and S.

I do the opposite thing. I usually take over empty luggage and come back with it totally full.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Kat, I'm looking forward to seeing you too. I hope it's a good trip.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Have a safe trip Rositta. Your pedicure is absolutely beautiful and I always bring food items from the U.S. to Greece....and lots of zip lock bags!

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home