The View From Here

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Getting Sucked In - Slowly

Have you ever been newly in love and uttered the words “I’ll go anywhere you go”? Well I did many years ago, twenty five to be exact, and they are starting to come back to haunt me.

There is a lot of family pressure here in Greece for us to stay, to give up our live in Canada and a whole way of life that I have lived for almost 60 years. I’m a little surprised that Steve is even considering it truth be told but the fact that he has bought an apartment here tells me he is in fact considering it.

His brother is trying the soft sell on me just about daily. While picnicking on the beach for example, he throws out his arms and utters things like, you’ll never find this in Canada. Yeh so what, says I… you don’t have beautiful unburned forests and crystal clear lakes. We go back and forth this way with my limited Greek and his limited English. Yes, the Mediterranean is lovely and the sunset was gorgeous last night but there has to be more to keep me here.


September 18, 2009 005


His sister too is in on the act but since her English is pretty good I can tell her how I really feel. It’s a beautiful country in its own way, but it’s not my way. I remind her of the time her Mom was in hospital in April and how abysmally she was treated. I remind her of her stresses in daily life. I look at her face and see nothing but a difficult life lived. There is no joy in her face and yet she chooses to live here. She has a choice, she is a Canadian citizen.

I have a son in Canada, I have grandchildren and I have friends. Here I have one friend here, a very good one, but still only one. At my age and with language limitations, making new friends is difficult.

Of course there is the most important reason of all, my favourite yarn suppliers in America, don’t deliver to Greece, sigh…

Then again I may be stuck here for a while. It seems that Olympic Airlines which was sold will most probably not fly us home. The new owners have suspended all flights to Toronto and we will have to find another way back. Just another thing to deal with…

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous deviousdiva said...

Get in touch. Would love to meet up with you!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Rudee said...

I would be happy to ship your yarn!

I understand not wanting to leave friends and family. THough I'm certain you'd see your son and grandchildren, it would most likely be less often. Perhaps it's time to consider splitting your time. Greece has to have better winters than Canada! I know it would be a burden to forgo a subzero winter, complete with blizzard and icy conditions, but if it makes you feel better, I'll send you pictures.

Hugs to you my friend.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Well, I won't even move to Fla from Ohio in USA because I am not going to be that far away from my grand kids. No way would they sell that to me. Is there a compromise like split the year or something?

3:01 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you could take a repositioning cruise home! this is the time of year they go that direction and they are really cheap. the carnival dream is going to new york from italy, it is BRAND new!!! i'd go for that. anyway good luck whatever you decide honey.

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

4:04 PM  
Blogger Nishant said...

THough I'm certain you'd see your son and grandchildren, it would most likely be less often. Perhaps it's time to consider splitting your time.
Domain registration india

2:04 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Ms. Bee, I don't think I can handle the Ocean crossing in October, I get seasick.
Rudee, even though they don't have snow here it is still damp and cold. I think I prefer the crisp cold.
Nishant, thanks for visiting, I think two months is more than enough for me. The little irritations of daily life are already bugging me.

4:30 AM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

That was a heavy, and serious subject indeed. It must have come as a slow shock, when you realised. I totally understand and agree with your doubts. My advice, if I may be so bold, is to go with your heart!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home