Olympic Airlines - The Final Screw
So we all know I hate Olympic right? Nothing new there except why do we always fly with them. I suppose it’s because it’s one of the only non stop flights from
Toronto to Athens and because they allow us somewhat more luggage than other carriers. I’ve come to realize that it’s a low cost carrier and made allowances. I always bring my own blanket and earphones just in case and lots of snacks for when I get hungry in the middle of the night. I know from experience that the flight attendants are nowhere to be found; they are usually snoozing in first class.
This time though I was more hesitant to book with them knowing that they had been sold to a private investment group called Mafin. The deal was closing September 30th and our return trip is October 29th. I asked the most important question of our travel agent when booking, will anything change. The answer was a definite no, all flights would remain the same. NOT…
It came as a shock to find out about three weeks ago that many overseas routes were being abandoned by Marfin including Montreal, Toronto and New York. For three weeks there was no news other than what I was able to get from Greek bloggers. I received a text message from a friend who heard that Olympic would code share with another airline and honor all tickets so I didn’t worry too much. Two emails to our travel agent have remained unanswered thus far but I have received one email directly from Olympic. It states the following;
Dear sir/madam,
we kindly inform you that due to Olympic Airlines closure and change of ownership, for any information, bookings, change of reservation or refund you should either refer to the closest Olympic Airlines office or call directly the Athens reservation department at +30 210 966 66 66. The latter will be active by september 30th.
I have phoned this number a few times to no avail. It is not possible to speak to a person and I can’t stay on hold forever. I have a pay as you use phone card for a cell phone that is incredibly expensive so I could run through a 20 euro card very quickly and never get to talk to anyone.
So today Steve made the long trip into Athens to see about the tickets. He came back with bad news. The Olympic Airlines office in Athens is closed with no information as to where the new Olympic Air office can be found. There is no easy way to get this information either. Steve is going to make the trip to the airport on Monday and hope to find an Olympic Air representative who will have a solution for us. There are no easy resolutions for anything here… It is estimated that there are between 3000 and 5000 stranded passengers and I suppose we are just collateral damage.
Labels: greece





10 Comments:
Hi Rosita,
If you are in Greece, tell Steve to call Olympic Air on 210 35 50 500.
If you call the 210 9666666 (former number of Olympic Airlines), it tells you to call the new number.
Let me know how you get on. Hope all goes OK.
Hi Rosita,
If you are in Greece, tell Steve to call Olympic Air on 210 35 50 500.
If you call the 210 9666666 (former number of Olympic Airlines), it tells you to call the new number.
Let me know how you get on. Hope all goes OK.
Thanks for the information, we will give it a try.
good luck honey, hoping for the best for you...
hugs, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Oh no! What a mess! I hope it all works out well for you and Steve. I really hope it doesn't cost you another nickel, either.
Good luck to you, Rositta.
I was able to reach someone at the new Olympic today and things seem more positive right now. I suspect that arrangements will be made for our return. They did tell me that there were thousands of passengers in the same dilemma as us...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I looked at the number he gave you, and it's the same one I gave you. Just an FYI, since you told me mine was wrong. As I said, EllasDevil and I share information.
Your right Kat, I wasn't reading properly, sorry...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home