The View From Here

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Should I Or Shouldn't I???

That is my dilemma this morning and it concerns having a CT Scan. It has been widely reported in the news these past few days that CT Scans can cause cancer.

My doctor highly recommends I have the scan of my bile duct. The suspicion is that there is a gallstone stuck in there somewhere that wasn't seen when I had my gallbladder removed. The ultra sound only showed a dilated bile duct. He says it's important. Why am I worried and am I worried for nothing? That is the question of the day...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Devil Mood said...

Oh measuring the pros and cons of these exams is difficult. I get the impression that doctors prescribe them too much, but you need to see if your condition needs it.
I wish you didn't have to worry though!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Hi Devil Mood, my doctor is not one of those who runs tests just for fun, unfortunately...this is the first one he's ever told me I need to have in 35 years. That's the scary part.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Rudee said...

I think part of the issue is people who get multiple doses of radiation and have study after study after study. Obstruction from a stone is going to make you sicker than one CT ever will. Go for it!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Your making me feel better about it Rudee. I had one CT scan on my head last spring and I was told that it had the same radiation as 100 chest x-rays. Now we are told that one CT scan has the same radiation as over 400 x-rays. Your right though, the stone or whatever it is has to come out sooner or later.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Stink Eye & Tube Steak said...

Hi Rositta,

That has been widely known that CT's are very powerful, and they should not be used unless absolutely needed. What about MRI's? I have not looked into the pro's and con's of MRI's, even though I had two on my knees. I can understand your worry, but it is a Catch 22, so I would say if there are no other tests that could be used effectively, then go for it, and eat as many anti oxidants as possible.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

You won't be getting multiple doses. The scan will help them to better tell what is going on in your situation. They can get a lot from symptoms and examination, but this is one time where they need to be able to see inside in an noninvasive manner.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home