Uncelebrated Events
With all the stuff happening in my life these days we completely forgot about our wedding anniversary last weekend and Mother's day was pretty much ignored in this household. Steve's Mom died a year ago and my own Mother died one day before Mother's day three years ago. I suppose there will come a time when we will again celebrate these events, they just didn't seem terribly important this year.
Yesterday I had to go for pre op at the hospital that is doing the surgery. I spent seven hours and still didn't resolve the most important issue... rehab, seems the social worker left for a meeting just around the time when I was done with all the other tests. Convenient I'd say. What did I spend seven hours doing you wonder, me too. Most of those hours were spent waiting. Steve dropped me off at 8 am and I waited half hour for the nurse. We went through my medical history and I tried to address some of my concerns with being sent home four days after surgery. She insisted these concerns would be addressed by the (disappearing) social worker later. She kept insisting that I needed to appoint a "coach", someone to help me at home after surgery, drive me around to physio (at my expense), and someone to make me meals. I kept insisting that nope, don't have a coach nor can I get one. All my friends work and I'm not about to ask neighbours to take care of me. This is the busiest time of year for my contractor husband who is generally gone by seven and not back before five and my offspring lives in a different province. What are they thinking...
Then I saw a anesthesiologist who explained the latest technique of spinal freezing instead of general anesthetic. The next step was a neck x-ray, blood work and EKG. Each of these required traipsing to different parts of the hospital. Trying to get a coffee or something to eat was near impossible with the strange hours of the cafeteria and I finally did end up with a sandwich at 2 o'clock. By that time I needed Tylenol 3 just to be able to walk.
My last stop was with the on site doctor who checked me over head to toe and pronounced me fit for surgery. By the time I called Steve to come and get me seven hours had passed and I was beat.
Last night I Googled hip replacements in Germany and if I had 10,000 Euros I'd go there. I'm embarrassed to be a Canadian citizen in the Province of Ontario. With all the extra tax money they have taken from us in the last four years specifically for health care we have gotten nothing back, in fact they have cut services across the board, sadly...
Labels: hip replacement





8 Comments:
Well Rositta, that really sux, pardon my french. I can feel your anxiety from here. I think maybe social work will have some kind of assistance to offer. And may I suggest asking your son or daughter to come and help? Its not every day Mom gets a hip replacement... xxoo
Oh I wished I had a daughter, one who lived close by. Unfortunately though I don't. When I had my first hip replacement I got two weeks rehab and when I got home my son was able to come from Calgary for a week and my Mom was still alive and living with us. This time he can't come, he has a young family and a full time teaching job. It's also over 3000 km away. I'm not even going to ask. Worst case we'll try to hire someone to come in every day.
I think you have had enough bad luck. You are certainly being tested, and I am glad that you still can find time to communicate here. ONE DAY you will have all this behind you and you can then start enjoying life again!
swenglish, I wish so many times that my parents had never left Germany for this "better" life. I'm counting the days but I'm also quite scared this time around. I know what four days after this surgery feels like so I know I'm not exaggerating...
Hi Rositta - I am sorry you are experiencing this concern. is it because of having to go home so early? or is it the actual hip surgery?
My aunt said she was sorry she put off the hip replacement but after doing the 1st one she couldn't wait to do the 2nd one.
It sure does NOT sound like a good health care system and you know they are doing that to cut costs.
I do hope it will work out for you and do hire someone if you can. is there risk of infection going home to early?
And now it seems our hc system thanks to our awful current administration is going the same way.
When are you having the surgery?
Sending prayers and good thoughts your way Rositta. :)
Seaspray, what has me scared is this; I will now be sent home somewhere between 3 and 5 days to a house with stairs and a husband who is gone from 7 to 5 working. Having already had one hip replacement 6 years ago I know exactly what 5 days post surgery feels like. At that time I got two weeks in a rehab hospital and when I got home my Mom was here and was able to help me. Now I am alone. I'm also still struggling with the foot that was operated a year ago and is pretty much ruined (bad surgeon). If I can't convince them to send me to rehab this time we will try to hire someone to come in a couple of hours a day to at least prepare lunch for me but finding someone is also not easy. This is the busiest time of year for my contractor husband and he has already given up a few jobs to take care of me this past year, he needs to work. Thanks for visiting, I will try to stay positive. At least the eyes are better, 20/20 in the newly operated one and 20/30 in the one done three months ago so that's something good...
I thought people automatically have rehab with that kind of surgery. My gosh ..you have to readjust and learn to walk again don't you?
Anyway to get friends for the worst time of day. can you stay on one floor ..or do you have to go up stairs to get into main living areas?
I live in a ranch and only short step. and one step in house which is good with the knee issues I've had. But going to my girlfriends town house you have to go up 2 sets of concrete steps and then up or down one flight between where you want to go inside. Easy when no pain ..get an injury and altogether different. I do understand.
I am sorry about your foot too. gee ..no way to fix it? Different doc?
Excellent news about the eyes. Wow ..you must love that!
Nope Seaspray, physio therapy and rehab are no longer automatic in this country. To get into a rehab hospital you pretty much have to beg and plead which I fully intend to do. Physio therapy outside of a hospital setting has been de listed as a paid service along with many other things. That's just the way things are when medical care is "free". There just simply isn't enough money for everything and since there is no private insurance here for these things the government will sooner or later have to talk about user fees. Problem is that is a subject that is career ending for most politicians and so no one dares to implement it.
The biggest danger of being home alone all day is that I will dislocate the hip or fall. I will be able to stay on the main level if I get up early and have my husband help me downstairs. Or I can sleep on the main floor in my late mother's bedroom, which is still difficult for me. I may have no choice though.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home