The View From Here

Sunday, April 18, 2010

P - Is For Prednisone


I have five weeks to get through to the Hip Replacement surgery with a quick stop at another hospital for Cataract Surgery in two weeks. I'm not sure I'll make it.

I saw my Rheumatologist this past week who insisted I go back on Prednisone. Both my knees are swollen and stressed from limping around especially the left knee. She hopes the Prednisone reduces the inflammation and helps with some of the pain. I am living on codeine based pain meds the last few weeks and I'm terrified of turning into a drug addict. The pain is especially bad at night and wakes me every hour or so. To say I'm in a miserable mood these days is an understatement. Sadly it is the one person who is my greatest champion, my DL who is getting the brunt of most of my anger. The "why me" syndrome has kicked in big time. Is that a syndrome or am I just making that up?

I have decided that once this surgery is done and I am well healed I will take the one step I have been avoiding for the last year. I will take the doctors advice and go on the drug Methotrexate to treat the RA and hopefully save whatever joints I have left. It is a drastic step for me and I'm not taking it lightly. I can already feel my left hip, which was replaced in 2004 hurting me.

I'm going to have to chill out a bit since we are going to our friends cottage for a week. My sweetie is helping them with renovations and I know that Liz will take really good care of me. She spoiled me rotten after my foot surgery. There will be no internet for me for a week and I hope the weather is nice so I can go for some walks. There should be no bugs yet which will be a treat. I hate black-flies with a passion but they love me.

I'm taking my knitting and a good attitude and will be back next weekend. I wish all of you a lovely week.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

It's possible your gait is off with hobbling and this is causing pain in other areas. Have you tried Lidoderm? It helps some people and is a topical patch (prescription). Leave on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. It may help you sleep at night and is not addictive, although if you did get pain relief from it, you may find you couldn't live without it.

I hope you feel better, soon.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh no, chuck is on prednisone now too. sarge now has osteoporosis from it too. but it does work for sure. hoping the new drug will help and not cause problems. try to relax on your holiday and not think about anything, maybe that will help a bit honey.

hugs, bee
oxoxoxoxoxoxo

1:57 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Honey, I have been taking Methotrexate for a while now. It has helped me more than anything. There are some side effects but they have not been near as bad as going without the medication and I bet you will think so too. Right now I am taking it by injections but soon I think I am going on oral one's. I was taking quite a bit of pred as well but I am finished with it for awhile. I took 4-10mg a day for 3 days and then every 3 days I cut down one more pill until I was finished.

I hope you can relax and have some peaceful time and also some fun during your week away.

I will be thinking of you.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Michaela said...

Methotrexate is a good idea. RA sux. I had a brother who had severe RA - he passed age 31 from it - I wish we had drugs like that back then. Im so sorry about your pain. Good luck for your surgeries Rositta! Best wishes xxoo

9:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Rositta, the decisions we have to make. They are so hard. You know from my blog I have been fighting the drugs for a while now and have given into trying a DMARD again basically because my body is exhausted and I am hoping for a little break. I feel better knowing it is temporary until I can gain my strength again and figure out my next path.
Let your friend take good care of you. You need to be spoiled over. I am sending healing thoughts your way.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

I know you are all thinking of me and wishing me the best. Day 3 or prednisone and I'm bouncing off the walls. Three more to go. See you all when I get back.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

Rositta, that prednisone should help a lot. It will hopefully calm things down in there. Inflammation can make things feel pretty angry. (I'm talking about the pain, not you.) Unintended play on words.

When I was on chemo...I noticed that my arthritis pain was COMPLETELY gone. No one ever said anything about that being a good side effect. I was diagnosed with arthritis when I was a freshman in high school. It's been with me a long time. Great genetics.

I hope you can enjoy your week. Hugs.

7:55 AM  
Blogger merinz said...

Happy knitting

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home