The View From Here

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Standing Up For Canada

I have been following what is happening in the U.S. primaries with great interest. Whoever becomes the new President will have some effect on this country for good or bad. I don't write about it because it's really none of my business how my American friends choose to vote.

I do find some of the rhetoric over the top though, especially when both Clinton and Obama speak of renegotiating NAFTA.

Today in New Orleans Prime Minister Stephen Harper was quite clear that he wouldn't mind so much. I tend to agree with him on this one. A lot of Americans are complaining about the price of gasoline these day but I wonder if they would like to pay what we pay. I assure you it's much more and considering that we ship a lot of our oil down south that seems kind of unfair to me.

"Canada is the United States' number-one supplier of energy. We are a secure, stable supplier. That is of critical importance to the future of the United States," he said


Nuff said...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

I think you would find that most of your gas price difference is the added-on taxes. I read recently that most European nations add a slew of recovery and clean-up taxes to gas (whether that's what it gets used for I haven't researched yet) and about doubles their gas price. And no, Americans don't get it that our gas is cheap compared to the rest of the world.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Gas is very expensive in Europe but they use less. They have smaller cars and don't drive the distances that we do in North America. When we go to Greece it takes two cars to pick us up with our luggage, one just isn't big enough and nobody drives 200 miles one way to go to a cottage for the weekend, just not done there...

11:05 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

You are correct that many Americans:
a) don't know where energy sources are generated
b) don't know we pay less for gas than most but consumption is huge-supply and demand is an interesting relationship. You must take the size of our population into consideration.
c) don't know what NAFTA is (even though we certainly have felt it's results-we suffer from trade inequalities as much as you folks up north.)
d) we don't pay the same taxes as you and our roads and infrastructure suffer from this


I just want a legitimately educated president to lead my country. I'm awfully tired of the mess that ignorant exaggerated swagger (my appendage is bigger than yours BS) has left us in over here. More of the same would be disheartening. Rhetoric is part of the campaign mumbo jumbo, much of which I've learned to tune out. I am not against Mrs. Clinton going all the way; she'd bring a big brain trust with her. Oops. I've let my politics slip....[;-)}

12:02 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Letting your politics show is now big deal...here's what Mrs Clinton said .."warned Tehran yesterday that if she were president, the United states could "totally obliterate" Iran in retaliation for a nuclear strike against Israel." from today's paper. Sound like she is sending out a warning. The western world needs a strong president do you think? Oh by the way, our roads and highways are so full of potholes they are pathetic...

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home