A Chinook In The Making
We were incredibly lucky to get out of Toronto between snowstorms. Fate I guess...flights were canceled and delayed all over Canada but our flight was reasonably on time. We were met at the airport by the offspring and quickly whisked to his new home were Elliotte and "the girl' were waiting for us. It is cold here, that's the first thing that hits you in Calgary, the cold. Not as cold as Yellowknife mind you where we spent a Christmas 18 years ago at around -40 C , but still cold.
There will be a Chinook, the clouds said so. The sign is in the clouds. I did ask for one and I'm happy to be obliged. It was in the -16 c range when we arrived on Tuesday and by Saturday it's mean to be 0 C. My camera limitations make the classic arch not visible, but it was there.
This is what the sky looked like Christmas Eve and by Saturday the temperatures will be 0˚C from -16˚C.

This is one of my offspring's photos of a classic Chinook sky.

One of the most striking features of the chinook is the chinook arch, which is a band of stationary stratus clouds caused by air rippling over the mountains due to orographic lifting. To those unfamiliar with the chinook, the chinook arch may look like a threatening storm cloud at times. However, they rarely produce rain or snow. They can also create stunning sunrises and sunsets.
I have been sick since Christmas Eve and spent most of Christmas Day in and out of bed. I appear to have caught some really bad virus somewhere that has laid me low.
This has been such an amazing Christmas but because I'm so darn sick I can't even describe it right now. Hopefully in a couple of days I'll feel better...
Labels: Christmas 2008





8 Comments:
wow i have never seen anything like that. i will have to read more about it. hope you feel better soon honey and so sorry you were sick...
smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Oh what a shame! Hope you feel better soon.
I love the chinook :) I have some similar photos of pink clouds occupying only a part of the sky in really cold days (well, Portugal cold, anyway), maybe they were chinook too.
Get some rest now!
Those are lovely. I remember chinook in Colorado. Living next door to a mountain range keeps the weather interesting at least; if you don't like what you've got wait 10 minutes it will change (not always for the better but it changed at least).
It looks beautiful. Same here, been sick.
Anyway, thanks for dropping by and Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones. :)
Oh Rositta, I'm sorry you're so sick. It's misery to be away from your own bed when you feel badly. I hope you're better soon.
The photos are pretty.
Thanks for the Chinook you called on. It'll be 60F in Detroit tomorrow. Now where did I put my bikini?
Wow, fascinating information about the Chinook. They sometimes compare it to the Fön in Bavaria, but I don't think it's exactly the same thing.
Hope you feel better VERY soon. I was (still am) sick over Christmas and I know what it feels like to watch it all go by and wish you were in better health. I'm glad you're having a lovely time, though.
P.S. My word verification is "bless". That's nice. :-)
Miss Bee, there were better Chinook winds and clouds today.
Devil Mood, better pictures coming, I actually went out today.
G..yes it's the mountains that does it.
Ipanema, quite different from your part of the world...
Rudee, 60 F, wow...I think Toronto has a bit of warm weather too today. There's a better Chinook today.
Christina, a Chinook is the same as a Foen...
I'm starting to get a little better...
The chinook is beautiful...I'm glad that your wish came true. I'm sorry to hear that you've been ill..I hope that you feel better soon. We were ALL sick last Christmas and it's a drag. Feel better!!! Oh,
and here's wishing you a wonderful and Happy New Year!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home