The View From Here

Sunday, June 13, 2010

This Isn't Working!

Most people get to spend two weeks in Rehab after hip replacement. I got ten days. Most people get a trial weekend at home, I didn't. If this were
my trial weekend I'd be begging Steve to take me back right about now and it's only Sunday morning.

My house is too small to negotiate a walker comfortably and that is a big problem. Now I realize how difficult it must have been for my Mom to get around. I keep banging into stuff and that jars the hip causing pain. Steve went out this morning to see a job thinking I'd be okay...not.

I am not allowed any arthritis drugs because of the blood thinners and my hands don't work. I dropped my coffee cup and the cereal box when I tried to get my breakfast. No matter how bad the food was at the hospital and trust me it was bad, at least it was there and I didn't have a battle to get it. The last straw was when I dropped the cane. I am not allowed to bend to pick anything up, it might dislocate the hip. I struggled to my room to find my picker up gadget to get the cane. Then I forgot the cushion to raise the chair so I had to go back again All in all, getting a cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal took about an hour. How wii I cope when Steve goes back work? Time for a nap...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

7 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

I know it may be expensive, but perhaps for the first few days, could you hire a home health aide to assist? Do you qualify for any home care? Not sure how things work for you in Canada, but you'd probably meet criteria here.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Chrysalis said...

I know how hard it was, just when I had to use crutches. You can't hold on to what's holding you up, and carry your cups and dishes too.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

One last thing--knit a sling for your grabby thing. Use i-cord for something light and flexible and then wear it slung across your back. That way, it's with you when you need it.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

There is no home care available to me. Steve is home one more day. His son might come from California to help out. Ruder, brilliant idea for the grabber, I'll try to knit one tonight. I took a Percocet after he came home and found me in tears. It's better now.

5:05 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

You certainly have gone through a lot, and still is, but you are also a fighter! Stay positive.

12:56 PM  
Blogger SeaSpray said...

I am so sorry Rositta and hope you are doing better now. It just isn't right to be sent home like that.

Not right at all!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Seaspray, like I said, I was lucky to get 10 days, most people never get that. It's only because my doctor pushed for it that I got it. Things are better now, it's 6 weeks post surgery and I no longer have restrictions. I'm just praying that this is it for me for a long long time...

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home